Chapter Ten

How was he seeing me? I checked to make sure I hadn't lost my concentration. A few mental checkboxes later, I was convinced that I was still invisible. That and the fact that I had to step out of the way of someone passing. They hadn't been able to realize I was there.

        Odin's voice echoed out into the hallway. "Child, your weak magic will not trick me. I am the All-Father. It would take years of practice to get to a level good enough to slip past me." He gestured for me to come inside as he stood from his throne. "Join me for a walk?"

        I couldn't exactly say no, could I? "Of course."

        Slipping into the room, my boots click-clacked on the floor, my illusion fading away. I met him at the base of his golden throne. It was hard to imagine the power he must feel just sitting up there. He was already above the others due to his title, but now he could truly be above you. High up there, it would be easy for someone's mind to get clouded by the greed that came with having authority. I just had to hope I wasn't the next in line to be put on trial. It was certainly a possibility seeing as he still hadn't bothered to tell me why I was forced into Asgard.

        I kept my eyes low, staring at my reflection beneath my feet while I waited for him to speak. The metal sure was shiny. There was no way I could be mistaken for an Asgardian woman at this point. Between my short hair and the fact that, once again, I had decided not to wear a dress, there was nothing to point toward me having any connection to these people. And that was just how I wanted it. No connection, no remorse. Though, the odds might not be in my favor. Human vs. a ton of Gods. Even I'd place my bets on the other side.

        "Who taught you how to create illusions?" Finally, the King spoke once more.

        I was ready to lie without hesitation. "There were books in the library that caught my eye. Was I not supposed to be able to do that?"

        "From now on, you will no longer be given access to the palace library."

        That wasn't really an answer, but I got the point. Odin, the Almighty did not want a Midgardian practicing magic. It was a good thing I hadn't mentioned Frigga's part in all of this. He started to walk out of the room, and so I followed. It seemed as though he had known exactly where I had planned on going.

        "Is that how you deal with all problems that prove to be a pain?" There was no harm in being a little pushy, right?

        He stared at me, intently. Which was exceptionally awkward since he only had one eye. "You mean by preventing disaster from occurring? When you've got an entire kingdom to take care of, Winter, you'll find that the best way to keep a thing from happening is to counteract before the event takes place."

        "So, what worries you about me learning just a couple of spells? Or, what crisis did you avert by bringing me here and taking me away from my home? Even better, what led you to put one of your sons in the dungeon?"

        "None of that is your business. Perhaps you'll be happy to know that I'm regretting my actions as we speak. Never have I met such an insolent and nosy child."

        "I thank you for the compliment." Giving a small curtsy, I smirked at him.

        Odin sighed. "I can't walk with you anymore for the fear I may attack you. Please, just return to your chambers and stay there until dinner. For the better of all Asgard."

        And he walked off, back the way we'd come. Had the All-Father just grounded me? Nah. He'd just politely asked me to do something. That didn't mean we actually had to follow his command. It would feel better too. I mean, who just lets someone tell them what to do or how to act? So, I decided to take a little field trip. The dungeons certainly couldn't be that difficult to find.