Chapter Seventeen

I let Loki have the bed back. At the moment, I wasn't feeling too great about using anything Odin gave me. So that meant sleeping on the floor. Sure, it wasn't great for my back, or my overall mood, honestly, but just that simple act made me feel like I was doing something. I mean, we were barely doing anything that could be classified as rebel activity, but it meant something to me, and that was what mattered.

        The weird thing was, after my little outburst at the guard, I realized something. Not only did I want the King of Asgard dead, but I just wanted to go home. This place was not home. No, in fact, any sort of comfort it had brought me months ago had faded into nothingness. Though I realized I had a loving father sleeping just a mere two feet away from me, all I cared about was getting back to my adoptive parents back on Midgard.

        I had never really cared for them. In all reality, I had hated them and ignored them for most of my life. But, now that I thought about it, they hadn't done anything wrong. They were nothing like the crazed gods I'd met here. I didn't have to worry about them doing anything but trying to get me to love them back.

        Asgard had proven to just be a mess. Odin had taken away everything that might have mattered to me. He hadn't given my mother a chance to get to know me, he'd stripped me of a real childhood, and he'd made my father become a psycho. At least Loki seemed to be trying not to be such a spaz around me, though. Still, I was feeling like it had been a big mistake to even interact with these Asgardians.

        If I had just given up on my foolish ideas, I could have stayed on Earth with a family who was desperately trying to make me feel like I belonged in a world I didn't even come from. Yeah, I still would have had to deal with being the smartest girl in my grade, and I probably would still piss everyone off, but I could have tried to be thankful to the two people who attempted to make a life for me.

        Staring up at the ceiling, I wondered what they were doing now. Did they know where I was? Had they pooled their money together in order to give people an incentive to find me? Now that it'd been almost a year since I'd left, had they given up, or were they still fighting to bring me back? I'd been such a jerk to them. Funny that it took being locked up in an otherworldly dungeon to realize the fact.

        Tears threatened to spill from my eyes. I'd have to make sure to check up on them when I finally got out of here. If I got out of here. The chances of that were seeming pretty slim considering my death threats against the king. I'd still hold true on that promise, though. I didn't care whether I had to lie through my teeth just to get the opportunity to jab a dagger through the old man's heart, it would happen. My life had been ripped away from me. It'd be interesting to see how he felt when I did the same to him.

        God, I'm not quite sure how much longer I could deal with this. I needed to get out. I needed to escape. I needed to—

        A blue sky appeared above me, fluffy clouds lazily drifting across it. The hard floor had been replaced with a field of grass that ended abruptly at busy, concrete streets. Sitting up, I realized where I was: Marcus Garvey Park. It was only a couple of blocks away from the apartment I'd lived in. But, I couldn't actually be here, could I?

        Just a few steps told me I was still in the cell. My head had whacked the marble wall, causing me to let out a little yelp in shock. So, I hadn't teleported, merely created an illusion. But, what good was all this magic if it couldn't bring me closer to the people I loved? Or, at least wanted to now that I'd come to my senses. I was trapped in a room with the one man in this realm who may have an inkling of care for me. Sadly enough, I wasn't entirely sure he had changed at all. And I was worried I'd find myself going down the same path as him, just as he'd warned.