Chapter Four

It was nearing the end of the night when Frigga finished dressing me up and getting me ready for the feast. I had no idea how many people would be coming, but knowing Thor's popularity on Earth, I was preparing for the worst.

        The Queen took my hand once again this time bringing me back to the throne room. Instead of the desolate place it had been earlier with only the man I thought to be Odin sitting upon his throne, the hall was now filled with tables. Some with plates, others with dishes expertly prepared in the kitchen only hours before. Hundreds of people in gowns, tunics, and more were chatting with friends and family. When Frigga entered, they all stopped and stared at her pausing for a brief second before bowing. Eyes then fell on me, and I felt my face turn red. I was a fan of stealth and being alone, not being noticed by others. It was worse when we continued our journey to meet up with Thor.

        He was talking at possibly the highest decibel he could to four other people. One was a lady who, though she wore a short dress, was decked out in armor — her dark brown hair in a ponytail reaching her neck. She seemed bored by the conversation but close to the three men beside her. The first had messy blond hair wearing armor along with the rest of his friends. He was relatively tall and was much skinnier than the redhead to his right. The last gentleman could only be described as an Asian on Earth, but I assumed he was another race on Asgard. His hair was pulled into a spiky bun, and he was the only one of the group not smiling.

        Behind them, was a man dressed in green and black sitting alone at the table. His eyes scanned the room taking in and processing the world around him. The handcuffs on his wrist had been separated, but it was still obvious that it was Loki. Under the table I noticed his foot bouncing slightly; He was nervous. Out of nowhere, a large hand grabbed my shoulder and pulled me into their large body. I had flinched, not knowing who it was until I looked up to see Thor's smiling face.

        "My friends, this is Lady Winter," he boomed. "She came to Asgard earlier today when I brought Loki back from his tirade on Midgard."

        I said nothing, face reddening once more at the sudden attention. In my peripheral, I noticed that Loki had looked over when his name was mentioned. Silently praying that someone would save me from having to talk to Thor's friends, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Opening them, I saw the lady in armor reaching her hand for me to shake.

        "Lady Sif," she introduced herself, and the rest of the men went down the line doing the same.

        "Fandral."

        "Volstagg."

        "Hogun."

        I shook each one's hand and continued to act as I was mute. Maybe then they would stop trying to gain my friendship. Thor looked down at me and nodded, asking me to say something in return. I gave him a blank stare, and he gave up. With a nervous chuckle he gazed up at his friends and continued:

        "She's a little shocked after leaving her home. I'm sure you all understand. The poor girl told me before we left that she had no family of her own. I bet that was part of Heimdall's reasoning for wanting her to come."

        The number of pitiful looks I got in response made me want to scream. I noticed my right hand was shaking as I contemplated what to do. This lie wasn't meant to get spread all around the castle, and the last thing I needed happening was them figuring out I bluffed by themselves. It was bound to make me look bad.

        "I lied," I blurted out, breathing once more. "I lied. I had a mother and father on Earth."

        The pity quickly shifted to anger, and I feared what the warriors would do. Even Thor looked betrayed. I gulped and did the only thing I could think of, run. Spotting a billowing curtain, I snuck behind it to find myself on an area that resembled a patio of gold. It had a railing like a balcony, but since the throne room, unlike my chambers, was on the first floor, it was level with the ground. I tucked myself in one of the corners, body leaning over, and glanced at the calm streets that stretched in front of me.