Chapter 9 - We Are Poison

Chapter Nine

We Are Poison

“Beatrice, master Amos and Lady Lenora are awaiting their tea in the family sitting room,” Madam Price, the Skeffington’s Head of Service told her in a kind, though urgent tone, “Hurry up and prepare the tray according to our Lady’s tastes.”

“Yes, Madam Price.” Selina slightly bowed her head and smiled. She knew what to do. Madam Price smiled back and, with a little concern shinning in her tired, dark eyes, turned around and made to leave the immense kitchen. Before she had completely exited the room, she turned around saying, “I will come in a few minutes to supervise your work, so as to make sure everything is according to standards.”

Selina smiled wider and returned to work. She didn’t take Madam Price’s will to supervise her as a controlling attitude or lack of confidence, she took it as kind concern. Madam Price, an old but energetic woman, worked for the Skeffinton’s since she was Selina’s age and was responsible to coordinate all the housework. She was patient and gentle, had the sympathy of explaining to Selina with precision and detail exactly what was expected of her and, knowing better than anyone how strict and exigent Lenora was, had took it upon herself to make sure Selina had a perfect service – for which she was deeply grateful.

A few minutes later, Selina had already set up the tea tray exactly as instructed, using the specific porcelain set that Lady Lenora always requested for these occasions, the exact tea she favored at this time of day (for Sir Amos it was hot, pure, strong coffee), placed in the exact perfect way in the tray, with the exact right amount of water, milk and the exact brand of sugar. The slices of cake and biscuits that Lady Lenora always expected to be served at this time were already placed, everything at the perfect temperature and disposition.

It didn’t faze Selina that such a mundane and simple task was always turned into a work of precision and ultimate perfection in the Skeffington’s home, she was used to it. In a way, Victor had been right when he assessed that she would be perfect for this job – Edna was just as strict and as much of a perfectionist as Lenora. She was more than used to the constant struggle to achieve perfection, even on the smallest of details.

Having finished her task, Selina wondered if she should wait for Madam Price’s arrival and approval or if she should exert some autonomy and take the tray to the sitting room immediately, for she knew Lady Lenora prized a rapid service. On top of that, she feared if she waited much longer, the tea wouldn’t be at the perfect temperature. Looking around, searching for a sign of Madam Price’s presence, Selina noticed with some anxiety that she was now, and for the first time, alone in the kitchen. Her heart raced as she realized she had the golden opportunity to do what her beloved siblings asked of her.

Should she do it?

Part of her was screaming for her not to do it. The other was begging her to be brave, to be strong and unforgiving, like Victor and Ethel.

She promised them. They were counting on her.

She couldn’t turn her back on them. They were everything. Ultimately, Selina knew, in her heart, that her loyalty would always belong to Victor and Ethel.

Finally feeling determined and decided, she reached her gown’s pocket and grabbed the small glass vial that her older sister had given her. She studied the transparent liquid and Ethel’s words danced in her mind – He will only feel weaker and tired. She took a deep breath, trying not to feel disgusted by her cynicism – she knew what it was, no matter how many times she tried to convince herself otherwise.

But it had to be done. They trusted her to do it.

With her hands slightly shaking, heart beating furiously and blood dashing through her veins, Selina quickly glanced around, making sure she was still alone and took the lid out of the vial. As she was about to release its liquid content into the lonely cup with the coffee that was to be handed solely to Sir Amos, she felt an unprecedented rush of adrenaline and excitement.