Chapter 12 - We Stand Too Close

Chapter Twelve

We Stand Too Close

Selina rested against the wall as Victor looked around, to make sure no one was in sight. He got closer to her and whispered words of caution, of brotherhood and of encouragement, while discreetly handing her a new glass vial.

She grabbed it and quickly hid it in her gown, whispering back to him. They were so close that it would be almost impossible for anyone to hear their voices, much less their words.

"Beatrice! McGrath."

They quickly looked to their left, the direction from where the voice came, to face Jack Skeffington. He had, apparently, just walked out of a room, and was now in the hallway, staring at them with surprise and maybe even suspicion. Victor immediately stepped away from Selina, though he didn't do it in a rushed fashion, he did it calmly and with confidence, as if nothing secretive had been going on. He smiled at Jack. "Good afternoon, Sir Jack." He then returned his eyes to Selina. "Do you understand, Miss Beatrice?"

Selina looked at him with confusion, though she tried to disguise it, and nodded. Victor's smile remained. "I will be expecting your best service, then." She understood what he meant and nodded again. Victor eyed Jack and, though he was clearly talking to Selina, his eyes didn't waver from the other man, "As soon as possible, please." Jack chuckled.

Victor bowed to them both and left, his head held high and his pace slow and imposing. Selina watched her brother leave with a twinge of pain, she always felt such comfort in his presence. When she looked at Jack though, relieved by the kind smile on his face, she felt better. She felt comfortable around him too, so long as he didn't stand too close to her.

"So, you and McGrath..." He walked closer to her, his hands on his pockets in a perfect stance of relaxation, though his tone was somewhat suspicious or too implying of something else, "Do you know each other?"

Selina tried to take a page from her brother's book and sound as confident and normal as she could, "Not really." She smiled. "I only know Sir McGrath due to his frequent visitations. Nothing more."

"You seemed very close," he insisted.

"Nonsense." She waved her hand and walked away, Jack following her. "Sir McGrath was simply making a request for tea time."

"Oh!" Jack walked past her, turned so he was facing her and stopped so abruptly that Selina actually bumped into his chest. He grabbed her shoulders before she could even apologize and pushed her into the wall, his arms outstretched and his hands against it, effectively trapping her. He got closer and closer and Selina tried, unsuccessfully, to control her breathing.

"Did he need to be this close to you to make a request?" he whispered directly into her ear. His breath caressed her skin and made her tremble. She didn't know what to say or what to do, so she just put her hands on his muscled chest and gently pushed him, looking away from him, feeling her cheeks burn.

"Sir McGrath was definitely not this close to me." She tried to get away but he gently pushed her back against the wall, smiling wide.

"Wait, you can't leave yet, I have a request."

And although she was incredibly embarrassed, although his voice, his eyes, his smile and his touch made her lose all concentration and all logical thought, even though his proximity made her warm and dizzy, she couldn't help but laugh.

He grinned wide and stepped away from her, seemingly enjoying her loud laughter.

"Jack?"

Hannah stared at them on the other end of the hallway. She was smiling like always, though Selina noticed how it didn't seem so warm like it once had.