Chapter 24 - Spread Our Fire

Chapter Twenty-Four

Spread Our Fire

Victor was anxious and maybe even a little nervous, which was out of character for him. He was used to being in control. But he was facing an extremely important situation and it was impossible not to feel its weight. In front of him was something that could unfold to his full advantage or escalate into full disaster and ruin everything.

He had been called to a meeting of the utmost importance. He hadn’t been the only one, standing in Amos Skeffington’s room was, not only him, but the whole Skeffington family – Nicholas, Jack and even Lenora – and the family’s oldest friend and associate, Julius Holman Grunt. They all stood in front of Amos’s bed, which he was physically incapable of leaving. The man was too ill and too tired.

He knew what this meeting was to be about and that was the reason for his anxiety. The result of this would determine his next course of action – it would either be smooth or turbulent, especially considering how much Nicholas had grown to resent him.

He was so focused on what could happen, that he couldn’t even allow himself the pleasure of seeing his most powerful enemy so weakened and affected by him, so blissfully unaware of the poison he was spreading.

Amos was sitting on his bed, his glasses shielding his eyes as he considered files upon files of papers in his hands. Jack sighed loudly, doing a poor job of faking interest. He turned to sit in a fairly distant chair – he knew his summon here had been more of a formality than anything else, the only reason for his presence was his last name, for he bore no interest or hand in his family’s business.

“I have called upon you to join me here for I have an important announcement to make, something that I fear has become painfully obvious,” Amos started, finally glancing upon his audience. “I am sorry that I could not receive you all properly in my office, but I think I’m safe in asking you all for understanding.”

Julius and Nicholas nodded with haste. They too were nervous; they too knew what was happening and what was at stake. Lenora walked to her husband, carefully laying a hand on his shoulder, for silent support. Amos coughed and his hands were shaking as he held the files.

“It has become obvious to me, and to us all, that I am in no physical condition to remain an active master of my own affairs. For the meanwhile, and for the time I am confined to this bed, someone else has to occupy my position as the leader of the Skeffington Empire. He shall answer in my behalf, appear in my behalf and sign in my behalf, taking all the decisions and all the necessary means to the continued success and development of my industries and investments, under code of honor, returning such power to its rightful owner as soon as I find myself in better health.”

The room was silent, the weight of the words falling on everyone’s shoulders.

“I have made it official. The papers needed are already signed by me and only require the signature of the appointed guardian of my duties.”

Amos returned his eyes to his expectant audience.

“The man I have chosen is one that holds my entire trust and that I deem extremely competent for the job. I only hope that my decision will be held in high respect, for I have no doubt that I have chosen the right man and he has my total confidence.”

There was another silent pause, during which Amos studied the three men standing in front of him. Nicholas’ hands had curled into fists and Julius rested one of his own on his shoulder and winked at him, as a demonstration of encouragement and confidence.

“The man I chose and the man who will temporarily rule the Skeffington Empire is Gabriel McGrath.”

The room remained silent as Amos’s words finally settled in everyone’s minds. Victor himself was shocked – this is what he wanted, what he had worked for, and yet, it still sounded surreal. Not that he wasn’t confident in his manipulative skills, but because it sounded too good to be true. There had been a part of him that had, until the last second, believed that Amos would choose his oldest son, as was expected.