Chapter 49 - We Run, They Shatter

Chapter Forty-Nine

We Run, They Shatter

Jack walked the halls of his family’s mansion, his pace hurried, although he wasn’t sure what he longed for with such despair. His breathing was hurried, his wide eyes scanned every inch of the building. He was looking for something, he knew that, but he didn’t know what.

He thought he walked aimlessly, but his legs seemed to guide him on their own. Like there was a calling he couldn’t quite hear, only feel, coming from somewhere around the house.

When he turned left and opened the door closest to the corner, almost absent mindedly, he knew what he was searching for with such urgency. Suddenly, he knew where his subconscious had been desperately leading him.

He had just entered Nicholas’ room - his brother, his best friend, his confidante.

Jack needed comfort from the one person he knew would never stray from him.

If Jack wasn’t so drowned in his own misery and pain, he would’ve noticed something was wrong as soon as he took the first step inside Nicholas’ bedroom, but, consumed in his own world of betrayal, he didn’t recognize the very same symptoms emanating from his brother.

Nicholas was sitting by the grand and beautiful window that blessed his room with natural light. He was looking outside, barely acknowledging Jack’s recent presence. That should’ve been the first warning sign. The second should’ve been the fact that he was drinking and that the bottle of whisky on the table next to him was much emptier than it had ever been. The last warning sign should’ve been the way he looked – like Nicholas Skeffington had never looked before. His clothes were dirty and obviously worn for more than a couple of days, his hair was messy and unwashed, his skin filled with mysterious bruises. His eyes had lost their shine, his features lost the charm and all the handsome traits he once possessed.

Jack should’ve noticed, if only he had paid much attention.

“Nicholas…” Jack breathed out, like being in his brother’s presence was enough relief to ease the weight in his mind and body. “I’m so glad you’re here. I… I need you, big brother.”

If Jack had properly glanced at his brother, he would’ve noticed Nicholas had never looked at him that way – his glare as dark as it was cold, he continued sipping his glass of whisky as if Jack was the most repugnant creature in the world. But Jack was too distracted, too restless, his eyes travelling everywhere, his hands grabbing at his hair every few seconds.

“I’ve just suffered through the most painful betrayal of my existence. Someone I trusted, someone I loved, someone I was ready to give my whole heart to… that person just betrayed me in the worst, most cruel way possible.”

Silence befell the room for a few long moments, until Nicholas finally spoke, his voice almost unfamiliar to Jack, “I think I can relate.”

Jack paced the room as if the medicine to his heartache was somehow hidden in Nicholas’ luxurious carpet.

“I really don’t think you can understand what I’m going through-“

“Let me try, little brother.”

And at the sound of Nicholas’ new voice, filled with anger and hate, filled with bitterness and rage, Jack finally noticed. Slowly, he eyed his big brother with confusion and even a hint of fear. Nicholas was looking at him like a villain would stare upon his victims – or like a hero who watched his enemy burn. He was smiling, though that expression had no inch of joy. It scared Jack more than anything else would.

At that moment, Jack knew – something was very, very wrong.

Nicholas chuckled at the sight of fear in his brother’s eyes, before returning his gaze to the window.