Chapter 26 - The Three Missing Children

• Dedicated to every single reader

 Chapter Twenty-Six

The Three Missing Children

“You are dismissed.”

Selina heard the words, but she couldn’t quite register them. Was her mistress really saying what she thought she was? Was it really over?

She stared at Lady Lenora in a frozen state. Her lady was standing, firm and steady, like the mountain she resembled - unmovable, her face expressionless, her eyes hard and determined.

“I’m sorry, my Lady? Dismissed? For the day?” She tried to grasp at her last strings of hope. Maybe Lenora was rewarding her for her hard work again.

“Dismissed as in fired. Permanently.”

A cold, awkward silence fell upon the room. Both women remained unmovable and Selina tried to control her rising panic.

“Lady Lenora?” she asked, her voice almost trembling, like she was pleading her lady to tell her it was a mistake or a good natured joke.

Lenora’s eyes finally fled from her servant, Selina’s air of fright seemed to have melted some of the ice in her.

“I would be lying if I told you I didn’t feel… conflicted in my decision. I was growing to rather enjoy your company and I will surely miss your wonderful music.” She seemed sincere in her reluctance in letting her go, though not apologetic and completely resolute. “But I can’t ignore what is happening. You disobeyed me.”

Selina’s heart jumped and raced – she could tell what Lenora was talking about and it terrified her. Somehow, her lady had discovered her secret relationship with Jack. It was the only explanation. One of her worst fears had come true. It didn’t even matter to her how she had found out, she just wanted it to be a bad dream.

Lenora continued with her explanation, “I gave you a fair warning, Miss Beatrice. I told you to stay away from my son and you still chose to disobey me. You disobeyed me and made a mockery of my authority and of my family right beneath my nose, inside my own house. I cannot, under any circumstance, tolerate such behavior or allow that to happen. You are dismissed. Please, pack your things and leave the Skeffington mansion.”

Selina dealt with the situation with a mix of feelings. The first of which was shame. Lenora was right after all and she felt terrible for disappointing a woman who had trusted her so. She also felt horrible guilt and a sense of failure. She had lost her job and she would now be a disappointment to Victor as well. There was no worst feeling in the world. At the same time though, Selina felt an overwhelming sense of relief. It was over. Maybe her part in this terrible, sick game would be finally done.

She bowed to her mistress.

“I am sorry, Lady Lenora. I know it is worthless now, but I want you to know, I never meant to disrespect you or your family. I enjoyed working for you, I thank you for everything you taught me and for the opportunity you gave me and I… I understand if you can’t trust me anymore. I want you to know that, as much as it costs me that things had to happen this way, I’d do it all over again. I deeply care for your son.”

Lenora stood completely untouched by her words, as Selina expected her to be. She simply bowed back and sighed with a look of sadness.

Selina turned to leave and ignored Lenora’s whispered words.

“You will be broken.”

***

“You what?”

Victor had to work hard against his temper not to yell at his younger sister - for her own sake. He could tell she was quite shaken and sincerely frightened by his possible reaction. He looked at Selina, standing in their living room, a couple of humble bags at her feet. She had just told him of her dismissal from the Skeffington’s mansion and confessed the reason why. She admitted it was her fault and Victor whole heartedly agreed. How could she do this to him? How could she put all of their efforts at risk?