Chapter 8 - The Birth of Gabriel McGrath

Chapter Eight

The Birth of Gabriel McGrath

“Who are you?” Victor kept his cold gaze, determined to hide his amazement and slight anger from this woman. For some reason, she recognized him and that was unacceptable. His mind was already racing for solutions, for if she had recognized him so easily, there was no way he could convince her otherwise.

There was only one thing to be done. He couldn’t let her, whoever she was, ruin everything.

He would have to kill her.

She looked a little shaken by his harsh question and unattached attitude, but she quickly regained composure and smiled, instead throwing him a question of her own, “Don’t you recognize me, Victor?”

He couldn’t let her keep saying his name outdoors, it was too dangerous. In a quick decision, he grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her inside the house with more strength than necessary. Her smile faded as she stumbled inside the room, Victor closing the door behind her.

The young woman looked around and, noticing the other people inside, smiled again. “Selina! Oh my, I can’t believe you’re here, too!” She stepped over the youngest woman and held her hands on her own in a caring, cheerful manner. Selina lightly smiled back, though she had a confused look on her features.

Victor though, thought it was too much. She recognized Selina, as well. This woman was way too big of a threat, she would have to be disposed of immediately. He still wanted to know who she was though, if only to make sure that their secret died with her.

“Who are you?” he repeated the question, louder than before, his tone and posture more aggressive.

She looked like she was about to answer, when something stole her attention. Little Joshua was pulling her dress, showing her Jacob and smiling timidly. The woman smiled wide, promptly getting to her knees to get to his level and cupping his cheeks with her hands. “Such adorable children!” She melted, caressing Alice’s hair as she spoke, though Alice didn’t seem as delighted as Joshua.“Who are they?”

Victor was losing his patience. “I will ask one more time and, I assure you, it will be the last,” he said it slowly and in a menacing voice, “who are you?”

The young lady quickly got up, faced Victor and smiled again, apparently not one bit scared or intimidated by his threatening demeanor, her hands resting on her hips and a playful tone to her voice. “I will never forgive you for this, Victor Gabriel. How dare you not recognize me?” Her behavior surely surprised him, he looked confused. “I would recognize any of you, anywhere.” She spread her arms with joy. “It’s me, Preshea!”

There were a few seconds of silence and inaction, until Selina finally reacted. “Preshea, oh dear Preshea!” She almost ran to her and both girls hugged tightly.

“Where have you been?” Preshea asked, letting go of Selina, “I was starting to believe I’d never see you again.”

“It’s… complicated,” Selina answered, her beautiful smile fading.

“Where is Ethel?” Preshea asked, looking around, as if expecting to see her hiding behind a piece of furniture, “Is she here with you?”

Victor nodded, visibly relieved by the knowledge of this young woman’s identity. His eyes were softer, his stance much calmer, a small smile even growing on his lips.

“You need to tell me everything that happened to you for the past ten years.”

He nodded again and gestured for her to follow him. “Come with me, dear Preshea. We have a lot to talk about.” He walked away from the living room.