Chapter 27 - They See Us

Chapter Twenty-Seven

They See Us

“We should go dancing again tonight.”

Selina glanced at Jack and smiled wide, though she did it facing the ground. He kissed her cheek - he always said her embarrassment was adorable. And just like that, just with the touch of his lips on her sensitive skin, with the strong yet delicate hold he had on her hand, just the way he looked at her and invited her to dance, life seemed to make sense again. St. Agnes didn’t feel so dark and cold anymore, the sun was warm and cheerful, the buildings and streets were beautiful and the citizens were loud and sympathetic.

Jack would change her world.

In a way, he was her salvation. She had been fired, she had made Victor’s plans more difficult and she had been a disappointment, both to him and to Lenora, all because she had given herself to him. But, in a way, it was worth it. No more secret intentions, no more fear and regret. She was free from all that. She was free to be with him. He was her savior.

Jack seemed to share her visions, though obviously in a different way. He swirled her around, almost like a dance move and brought her close to him, embracing her in his arms, before he kissed her.

“Jack, we’re in public. This is not appropriate.” She blushed and gently pushed him away, though no measure of proper could erase the smile from her face.

“Exactly,” he said with an expression full of mischief. “I want the whole world to know you are mine.” He kissed her again, with even more passion - as if he was trying to make a point or simply showing her how easy it was to win their little argument. It was very easy – she couldn’t resist and she was always ready to give in to him.

“Ahem.”

The sound of a mild cough was enough to interrupt their small moment of bliss. They both recognized the voice behind it.

Selina was quick to let go of Jack, even though he only half-heartedly let her do so, and a blush was equally as fast to plague her whole face. She eyed the ground with embarrassment and as a hopeful demonstration of respect.

Facing them, in the middle of St. Agnes’s streets, was none other than Lenora Skeffington. She eyed them with discomfort, though Selina thought she could detect a small glimpse of amusement in her eyes and she seemed completely out of place outside of her mansion, with her expensive and luxurious gown, her impeccable hair and her impressive poise. Madam Price stood behind her, waving with cheer at the young couple. 

“Jack, really, show some level of decorum,” she mumbled, while looking away in clear discomfort. “Such public displays of affection, as endearing as they might be, are not appropriate.”

“Endearing?” Jack repeated, a smile of enjoyment on his features. “Is this your way of apologizing, mother?”

“Apologizing?” Lenora seemed genuinely surprised. “What in God’s name for?”

“For your petty judgment.”

“Petty judgment?” Lenora’s eyes shot straight to her youngest, showing quite a generous amount of aggravation. “You mean my knowledge of you? My knowledge of your previous habits?”

“Yes, exactly.”

Jack’s relaxed attitude didn’t waver, in fact, he even indulged in more inappropriate behavior by pulling Selina closer to him and resting his hand on her waist.

Lenora’s lip disappeared into a thin line and she took a deep breath.

“I am not proud of my… assumptions,” she said, while making sure her hair was perfect. “But, in my defense, I did have my reasons.”