Chapter 15 - Our Dark Nature

Chapter Fifteen

Our Dark Nature

Ethel walked into the living room in a slow strut, a glass of red wine in her hand and a look of rare interest on her features. She wasn’t alone, as usual.

In her living room, Alice and Joshua were sitting around the tall and long wooden table with Preshea lovingly leaning over them, teaching. Alice seemed to swallow every word that Preshea said with fervor and hunger. She was deeply consumed by the papers in front of her. Joshua was smiling and looked entertained, enjoying the pictures Preshea showed him. Ethel couldn’t help but notice how Jacob laid on another corner of the table, almost forgotten.

She leaned against the doorframe, content to remain a silent witness, drinking her wine. At least they were busy. They wouldn’t bother her if they were busy.

Preshea exchanged a quick glance with her and smiled. Ethel returned it and the blonde woman gave a few more instructions to the children, before walking towards the same doorframe.

“This was very thoughtful of you,” Preshea told her, with a huge smile, “asking me to teach them how to read and write.”

Ethel shrugged. “It’s not that big of a thing, you know. I just figured they’d be entertained and less prone to follow me everywhere.”

“Of course.” Preshea looked at her as if she knew a secret that Ethel was trying to hide. “That’s the only reason.”

Ethel ignored her and looked back to the two children. Even though Preshea wasn’t supervising them anymore, they remained interested and concentrated in their given tasks.

“Thanks for doing this.”

Preshea waved her hand in a dismissive attitude. “It’s not a problem, I quite like them.” She followed Ethel’s gaze. “Joshua is the most adorable little boy I’ve ever met. He has such a vivid imagination, such a creative mind, it’s beautiful.”

“Yes, indeed,” Ethel mumbled, taking another sip of her beverage.

“And Alice… She’s such a special little girl. I’ve never seen a child with so much thirst for knowledge. She will not rest until she learns how to read every single word. She’s exceptionally bright, too, very hard working and an incredibly fast learner.”

They fell into a comfortable silence, but Ethel wasn’t foolish enough to believe that Preshea had nothing more to say. She knew. She could see it in her eyes and feel it in her stance. Preshea wanted to talk, but Ethel, predicting her intentions and very much desiring to avoid that conversation, decided it was more than enough time for a break from that house.

Besides, she was out of wine again. And she had business to attend to.

“I’m going to The Black Cat. Do you want to come?”

Preshea slightly frowned. “I don’t very much care for that bar.”

Ethel smiled wide, somewhat relieved. “Oh, well. It’s your loss.” She turned to leave.

“Wait! What about the children?” Preshea asked, surprised at Ethel’s neglect.

“They can handle themselves. They’re used to being on their own.” Ethel shrugged, while putting on her long cloak. “Besides, you’re here, aren’t you?”

Preshea seemed conflicted. She exchanged undecided glances between Ethel and the kids. Ethel shrugged again and opened the door to the outside.

“Wait!” Preshea asked. “I’m going with you.”