Chapter 23 - Corruption of the Soul

Chapter Twenty-Three

Corruption of the Soul

The Vincent mansion stood glowing and powerful for decades. It was a part of St. Agnes’s history, its name belonging to time with almost as much strength and importance as the name Skeffington - and as von Mallesch had once held.

On the outside, its green gardens and brilliant structure radiated beauty. It was considered by many the most gorgeous building in the whole city – maybe even the only one. The Vincent family had always been known for their hypnotic allure, they spread beauty and grace through St. Agnes. It was the only property that didn’t remember the cold and grey – it was completely out of place in that city, like it belonged in a much more attractive, much warmer world.

On the inside though, it couldn’t be more different. Hannah sighed as she looked around her once magnificent and rich living room. It was bare now, bare and empty, poor and dark, cold and raw. Her family had once been rich and powerful, now, they only had their name and beauty. It was a secret that burdened her to bear, no one knew, not even their oldest allies – the Skeffingtons.

Her mother entered the room, her face alight with pleasure at the sight of her only daughter. She almost ran to Hannah, the savior of the family, wearing an incredible gown that should’ve been sold long ago – but it was important to keep, not only for appearances, but also for pride.

She embraced Hannah in a strong, warm hug and Hannah felt at home.

“My dear daughter, it’s so nice of you to visit. I was starting to miss you dearly. How have you been?”

Hannah smiled. “I missed you too, mother.”

The two women sat in the last remaining couch in the grand living room.

“Tell me, how are things at the Skeffingtons’s?”

“Everything is fine.”

“How is Nicholas?”

Hannah sighed, her gaze turning from her mother to her hands. “He’s concerned about some recent events… He’s been more distant than usual. It appears like Sir Amos has been giving him less work.”

“Well, if your fiancé is upset, it is your job, as his future wife, to ease his mind. Use his new, freer schedule to spend more time with him, to remind him of your love and dedication, to show him how happy you’ll make him. Maybe you can spend more time together, planning your wedding.”

“Yes, mother.”

She could tell her mother wanted to bring in another topic, and she could tell which it was, by the scowl that was appearing on her face.

“How are you dealing with your other… issue?” she asked, without looking at her daughter and looking mighty uncomfortable. “Are you still seeing Jack Skeffington?”

Hannah didn’t answer and stared at the ground. Her mother took her silence as a good enough answer and got up from her seat, pacing in front of Hannah as if she had insulted her.

“I… I can’t help it, mother. I love him,” she desperately tried to explain, as her mother flinched as if her words stung.

She finally glared at her daughter. “Hannah Vincent! This is not the behavior of a proper lady. We talked about this. You can ruin everything! This silly crush, this childish romance you have imagined, this can be our downfall. It can never happen! Keep your mind and heart on your real future. Stay away from Jack Skeffington!”

“But, mother-“

The woman wasn’t listening. She was pacing again, with a hint of panic and worry.