Chapter 29 - We Walk the Precipice

Chapter Twenty-Nine

We Walk the Precipice

She walked through the familiar halls, holding the familiar trey, with the familiar sense of evil inside of her and the same poison and blood on her hands.

Selina did not miss the Skeffington’s mansion and she did not miss her role in her brother’s sadistic plans. With a sunken heart, she knocked on the door to Sir Amos’s chambers and allowed herself to enter.

She regretted it immediately.

Amos had obviously gotten worse over the short two days she had been away. Victor, apparently, had had no problem poisoning him by himself.

His pale face, his heavy and slow breathing, his weakened body, his sunken eyes… It all contributed to the same sickening portrait. It disturbed her.

Trembling, she served him his coffee and medicine. Sir Amos took it, hands shaking as much as hers.

“Thank you, Beatrice.”

She spared a few seconds to let it sink in. He had never called her by name before.

Somehow, it just made it worse.

“You’re welcome, Sir Amos,” she replied, as she slightly bowed, anxious to leave the room. “I hope you a fast recovery.” The words burned in her tongue.

She turned to leave, more than ready to leave the terrible sight of the poisoned man behind her.

“You are loyal and kind,” he told her, before she reached the door. His words paralyzed her to the ground. “Loyalty is a rare quality. It’s a sign of bravery and love. Don’t lose it.” He smiled, genuinely and it was an alien expression on his face, though it seemed to take years from him and make him look healthier, it also didn’t seem to fit him. Besides, it only increased her need to run.

Without a word, Selina left the room as fast as she could without running. She rested against the closed door, her hand covering her mouth, trying to control her urge to cry and her self-hatred.

***

  Selina always surrendered herself to her violin. She always poured her heart into every single note – according to Edna, it was the only way.

Today, Selina drowned all her sorrows, sadness and regrets into the instrument. It was healing, like the sound she produced was cleansing.

She didn’t seem to be the only person who felt that way. Back in the drawing room, Lenora once again sat in her favorite chair, next to her favorite window and savored every single moment of the beautiful song.

It was the only thing Selina could truly miss from that house – these moments in this room with Lenora. It wasn’t the same world that existed outside.

Lenora wasn’t the only one listening this time. Jack sat next to his mother, his eyes never left Selina and his smile never wavered. Once the song was over, he clapped with enthusiasm, praising every second of her performance. Selina blushed and thanked him with an appreciative bow, a wide smile on her face - she wasn’t used to the sound of applause or such high and cheerful praise. Her heart grew for him. He could make her so happy.

“Wonderful, Miss Beatrice, as usual,” Lenora complimented as she stood up from her seat.

“Thank you, Lady Lenora. You are very kind.”

“She’s not being kind, she’s being honest,” Jack interceded and Selina replied him with another bright smile that he returned.

“Yes, well…” Lenora began, looking away from the couple as if she was intruding. “I have to find Madam Price to discuss house affairs. I shall leave you for the time being.”