Chapter 10 - Our Prey

Chapter Ten

Our Prey

“You look terrible,” Amos had the kindness to inform his older son, “You came back late last night.”

To be fair, Nicholas had full notion that he must look quite indecent. He only wished to go back to bed, but his father wanted to go on a small trip in business, just to oversee the constructions on an important new piece of land. It would probably take most of the day, since they would have to go to the countryside.

“Where did you two go last night?”

“We went to The Black Cat, to celebrate Jack’s return.” Nicholas yawned.

Amos shook his head. “You and your brother… Don’t let him distract you. Don’t forget, unlike him, you have responsibilities, a proper future, ambitions…”

“Jack has a future and he has ambitions-”

“Yes, just not of the proper kind.” Amos sighed.

“You judge him too harshly father,” Nicholas replied, “He wants nothing more than to impress you-“

“Well, he sure has a funny way of doing it.”

“If you would just give him a chance-“

“I have given him plenty.” Amos abruptly stopped walking and stared at his older son. “And he has always managed to make me regret it. He doesn’t care about much, unless it is music and alcohol and women.” When Nicholas opened his mouth to retort, Amos raised his hand. “End of discussion.”

“Good morning!” Both Amos and Nicholas turned back to discover none other than Jack himself, already clothed with plain black pants and a wrinkled shirt that was not properly buttoned, with its sleeves folded to his elbows. He looked just as sleepy as Nicholas, with his hair in complete disarray, as usual, and with his beard still badly shaved. Contrary to his father and brother though, Jack seemed to be in an exceptionally good mood, scratching the back of his head and displaying a huge smile on his face.

“Well, by the look in your faces, I think I can guess what the topic of the conversation was,” he joked, though his eyes shone with a little bitterness.

“Jack!” Nicholas quickly walked to him, mimicking his big smile and playfully slapping him on his back. “How is that head?”

“Much better than yours, by the looks of it.” He laughed.

Nicholas laughed as well. “I’m sure it is.” And was about to say something else to his younger brother when Amos interrupted them.

“We should be going Nicholas, we have a schedule and people waiting.”

“Where are you going?” Jack asked after a yawn, though he didn’t seem genuinely interested.

“We are going to see our new lands in St. Augustine. Do you want to come?” Nicholas asked.

Jack snorted, as if the question was ludicrous. “Not really.”

Ignoring Amos’s grunt and rolling of eyes, Nicholas turned to his brother again. “Why not? I’ll let you sleep through the journey.” He smiled.

“It doesn’t sound terribly fun, well, not to me at least. Besides, I’m hungry. I’d rather stay here and ransack the kitchen.”

“Well, no surprises here,” Amos added with a fake smile, “Although I was under the impression that you enjoyed exploring new lands and places.

Jack smiled wider. “Only when they’re actually interesting.”

“Which means, only when you get to do nothing of much use.”