Chapter 17 - No More Weakness

Chapter Seventeen

No More Weakness

Jack leaned against his bedroom door, a lazy, pleased smile still lingering on his features as he observed perfection. Hannah was still dressing and making herself look presentable. She took much more time than him to get ready, but that was why he rarely could be described as ‘presentable’. He was satisfied in having his hair in disarray, his shirt badly buttoned and, overall, looking like, what his mother would call, a slob.

Hannah was a creature of beauty, and though he had told her more than once that she didn’t need all the production to be glowing and gorgeous, she always preferred to be perfect. He really couldn’t complain, though he sometimes wished she would care less about her dress and her hair. Natural beauty didn’t need so much work.

He couldn’t help but let his mind wonder into another natural, yet different kind of beauty. It was an effortless one, an amazing combination of dark against light, a vision of black, shiny hair and clear skin, dancing graciously in his arms, like she belonged there, laughing and smelling of lavender.

“Jack?” Hannah’s sweet voice awakened him from his brief mental journey. She turned her back to him, revealing her bare skin. “Can you help me?”

He gently pushed her strong, golden hair aside and slowly buttoned the dress up, enjoying the brief contact between his fingers and her skin. When he was done, she turned to face him, smiled and gifted him with a light kiss on the lips.

“Thank you.”

“I am a fantastic gentleman.” Jack smirked and Hannah giggled.

“I should leave before anyone misses me,” she whispered, leaning towards him to kiss him again. Right after they parted, she was quick to discreetly vanish from the room, dreading to be seen on that corridor.

Jack let himself fall against the door again, took a deep breath and stared at the ceiling. He was easily the worst person he could be. He knew it was wrong, every muscle in his body screamed in self-disgust every time he even looked at his brother’s fiancée. Nicholas, who was more than a brother to him, who always protected him, who was his best friend – and who he betrayed in the lowest way – didn’t deserve this. It was difficult to even look him in the eyes. That was yet another reason to run so many times – the farther away he went, the least he would wound his brother.

He just couldn’t help it. Hannah was everything to him, he never wanted for it to be that way, but it happened. He could never resist her. He needed her. Though that would never be an excuse or make him any less of an animal.

Jack had always been selfish and a coward. He would keep stealing and running.

He closed his eyes and could almost feel that scent of lavender. He had to remind himself to stay away from her. She was too precious to be corrupted by a man like him.

Jack was once again distracted from his thoughts, this time, by the voice of Albert and Nicholas himself. They were talking in the corridor and the voices were getting louder. It was that familiar sound of anger struggling to be tame. Nicholas was upset, that much was obvious, but, to his credit, he was putting a mighty effort to remain calm and composed.

He decided to see for himself what was happening. He left his room and walked the full length of the corridor to find, as expected, their dear servant Albert and his brother discussing something. Jack decided to approach, standing behind Nicholas, who was so focused on his conversation with Albert, it wouldn’t surprise him if he hadn’t even noticed his arrival.

“Are you sure, Albert?” Nicholas asked, making a visible attempt at remaining calm.

“Yes, master Nicholas,” Albert answered, lowering his head a few inches, as if apologizing for the information. “Master Amos left very early this morning. He didn’t tell me where he was heading, only that he was leaving on business.”