Chapter 19

Today was Wednesday and also Barry's last day in San Diego before heading back to Brazil, so we decided to make it special for. At break we sat down and discussed what we were going to do after school. When the bell rang, my next lesson was s Nick while his was with Hayley and Sara. As we talked, walked and came closer to the door, I heard someone call my name. I looked forward and noticed Troy. I turned back to Nick and continued talking to him, getting closer to the door. Troy was walking up to me when Lucas pushed him to the wall and came up to me. "Hey, are you feeling better from what happened 'that day?'" he said. "Don't worry Lucas, he knows. I told him what happened, and yeah I'm better, compared to my knee." I replied. He looked down to my knee (which was obviously because I forgot to cover it since I was wearing shorts), rolled his eyes and stared at me. "How do you keep succeeding when it comes to hurting yourself? Like are you accident prone or something? And who shot you with a gun?" he added. I turned to Nick and smiled because I would be helping myself from repeating the story twice. "I'm NOT trying to hurt myself. I DON'T know if I'm accident prone and a thief broke in. we fought for the gun and we both got shot" I answered again. Before he could say another word, I hugged him and whispered thank you for caring, and walked in class waving goodbye. Troy tried to get my attention here and there in class, but I ignored him and went on with life. Straight after school all five of us took him sight-seeing and showed him around the city, mainly the most known areas and our hangout areas. We also went shopping so that he wouldn't leave here without any new clothes or souvenirs. By the end of the day, we went to Nick's house so that we could have a sleepover there and hangout with him one more time before saying bye. Each one of us called our parents to ask them to bring our things. After eating supper, we sat down on the floor and had our fair chats (especially when it came to Barry). "So how did you enjoy spending time here?" I asked. "Yeah and what did you enjoy the most?" Sara added. "And who did you enjoy hanging out with the most?" Hayley questioned. He stared at Nick for a while as we kept asking him questions, not giving him a chance to speak, but he answered them all in the end. We spent the whole night talking and watching movie... that was until we passed out.

The next day, Nick's mum drove all of us to the airport, so we could say our final goodbyes to Barry. We all gave him our own separate hugs then a group one and took a selfie. We told him that we would stay until we saw his flight leave. As we were walking back to where Nick's mum was standing, someone called my name. I turned around and saw Barry walking up to me. When he reached me (probably a two step distance) he spoke "Obrigado por todo." (Thank you for everything). I smiled at him and replied you're welcome... I think. He laughs, then explained to me what he said subsequently we leaned in for a hug once more, which was longer than before. When we let go, we smiled at each other and I waved goodbye. He leaned in, kissed my cheek, waved bye to the others and left. I let out a sigh before I turned around and saw them all staring at me with a big smile. I ducked my head onto my chin as I walked to them. I started shaking my head left to right slowly as I got close enough to hear Hayley complaining to Sara and Nick on how I 'always' get the guy whether I try or not. When I was next to Nick, I asked Hayley to name one guy. "Okay well, there's Troy, the captain of the football team, and Sean the captain of the rugby team and now also Barry, the exchange student." "Nothing happened between me and any of them. Sean only talked to me for a prank. Troy kissed Cynthia the same day he asked me to be his girlfriend, and Barry just gave me a kiss on the cheek. That's normal." I explained, although Hayley didn't care, instead she carried on in her own world about how there's something between Barry and me.

The following day I was in my room doing my homework when Rose knocked on my door. I closed my textbook and looked up to her. "Becca sweetie, there's something we need to tell you." I stared at in confusion as she opened the door wider allowing me to pass. Getting up from the chair, I walked out the door and stood next to and stared at Rose. She let go of the handle and began walking to her room. I stared at her for a moment before following her to her room. Once I entered her room, I walked up to the bed and sat down as Rose let Jason in the room and closing it after, so we wouldn't disturb Anna's sleep. My eyes turned from left to right then all around waiting for one of them to speak. "So... am I in trouble? Did I do something wrong or what?" I questioned passing stares at both of them. Rose glimpsed at Jason, and after he walked into their closet, removed a box from the top shelf, carried it onto the bed and lifting the lid, telling me to look inside. I glanced at Rose quickly before moving closer to the box. I leaned closer and lifted my head to peek what was inside the box and saw my birth certificate as well as my adoption papers. "Since you've been wanting to know about your birth parents- "Jason continued, "We started looking for your papers to give to you hoping it would help you get to knowing and finding about your parents." I looked up from the box to Jason with a tiny smile. Standing up, I hugged Jason then Rose then picked up the box and went to my room. Jason helped me open their bedroom door as well as my door since it was big and really heavy. I placed the box on my bed and closed the door after. I walked back to the box, opened the lid and started searching for every information about me. It took a really long time because the box was full of file paper, so I ended up flipping the box upside down onto the floor and spreading out the papers, so it could be easier, forgetting all about my homework. I spent most of my time most of the days organising the documents properly and once that was done, I put all the unnecessary papers back in the box, closed the box, picked up my identifications, sat down on the bed and spread them out. The first time I checked the clock after I came out of Rose and Jason's room, it was 15:45. I kept rubbing my eyes and yawning while lying down in bed, starting to doze off. Few minutes after I got up with a piece of paper on my cheek and saw that I was sleeping in all the papers. I rubbed my left eye, sat up, removed the piece of paper from my face, pushed some papers to the side and stretched, turning to see the time. I looked at my clock and my eyes just widened. It was 23:55. Still surprised, I checked my watch and got up to check my laptop to confirm that my clock wasn't broken and all of them had the same time. I sat down on my chair at my desk and rotated it to face my bed with all the papers on it. After staring at my bed till midnight, I got up from the chair, opened my dresser, changed into my pyjamas, pushed all the papers to the floor, got in bed and went to sleep.