Chapter 26

The next day, I wore blue ripped jeans, camo bandu and white Nike Air forces. After breakfast, Jason drove me to school. The ride was silent the entire way. He tried to make conversations, but in the end it always led to Rio. I arrived at school the same time the first bell rang. Quickly, I rushed to class, bumping into few people. I arrived in front of History class door the same time as Derek. "I can still make you fluster, even after all these years." "Derek please", I begged him. He smiled at me, whispered we weren't finished talking about yesterday and let me go first. Looking another direction, I walked into the classroom with him directly behind me. I walked faster and faster so that I couldn't feel his hot breath on my neck. Speed walking, I went to my seat and watched him walk to his. I turned to Nick who was looking directly at me. Knowing he still wants an explanation, I was about to speak when Melody walked in. "Nick can you sit with Derek for the next couple of days?" I asked. "Why?"

"Because he and Melody broke up, and she needs me right now. That's why I was avoiding him." he scrutinised me before taking his bag and moving next to Derek. I quietly told him thank you smiling, then called Melody to sit next to me. Once she was seated, she asked me why Nick was sitting with Derek. I told her Nick and I's arrangement, afterwards she hugged and thanked me. An hour later after class, the bell rang and we packed up as she told us our homework. I was one of the few people to leave the class last. When I was out, I started walking to my next lesson when someone placed their arm around me. I turned to my left and saw Derek. Moving his hand, I told him to stop it and commenced walking faster hoping he wouldn't keep up with me, alas, he walked next to me. I asked him what he wanted, then he asked me why Melody sat with me. I gawped him and reminded him of their breakup. After he asked why I never sat next to him. "because of what you are doing right now. Derek you are putting me into a really hard spot for the both of us." I explained. "you mean the fact of you trying to be a good friend and be by Melody or the fact you are fighting that something is going on between us" he spoke. I stopped and turned to look at him in the eyes. He was smirking with his hands in his pockets. I was about to speak when he took a step closer, placed his hand on my elbow. Slowly blushing as he rubs my elbow, I shook my head, turned and carried on walking. Walking close to me, we headed to design.

I walked in first and went to the empty seat next to Cynthia. She watched Derek as he went to our table then looked at me. "I get we're friends now, but – this and us sitting together. Not everyone needs to know so-" She said as she shooed me away. "Melody and Derek broke up" I spoke out. "And this involves me how?" she asked. I rolled my eyes, glanced at Derek then continued, "He broke up with her because of me, and now he wants to have a one on one, and the last one didn't go so well." Speechless, Cynthia began to laugh. I gave her a slight push to make her stop laughing and almost lose balance. When she obtained her balance, she was about to speak when Mr Stagage walked in from behind us. As he headed to the front of the class, he greeted each of us. When he reach the table Cynthia and I were on, he stopped and told me to move back to my old seat. After Cynthia and me past stares, I grabbed my bag and lingered to where Derek was sitting. Finally after I arrived, I put my bag down on the floor next to the table and sat down, hopping two times away from him. Mr Stagage spoke for half of the lesson and gave us work to do for the other half. I turned my head to Cynthia to see what she was doing before I started working. At the last ten minutes of the lesson everyone had finished so we gave our papers in and had the rest of it to ourselves. I packed my pencil-case in my bag and got up so I could sit with Cynthia, at what time Derek grabbed my wrist and pulled me back to sit down, and shuffled the stool closer to me. I sulked at him, then he pulled me in for a hug. Avoiding drawing attention to us, I hugged him back. Few seconds later, I could feel his hand on mine and tangling them together. Pulling my hand away, I asked if I could go to the bathroom. When Mr Nickels nodded his head, I rushed to the door and left, timing when the bell was about to ring. When there were three minutes left, I entered the classroom again and strolled to my seat. By the time I arrived to my seat, the bell rang. Quickly, I picked up my bag, ran to the door and sprinted to P.E. the rest of the day was relaxing and easier since I didn't share any lessons with Derek.