Gale - He Tells You He Loves You

It was the day of the reaping. The sun shining through your window almost made you forget.

You got out of bed and started getting breakfast ready. It looked like all you and your mother were having was the hard bread made from tessera grain. Not that you weren't grateful, just that there were more appetizing foods than hard bread.

Your mother came out of her room and gave you a hug. She knew how much you hated the reaping, how much it made you nervous.

"I can make the breakfast today honey," she said.

"Are you sure?" You asked.

"Yes, of course. Just sit down and I'll bring it to you, okay?"

"Okay." You'd just sat down at the table when you heard someone knocking at the door.

You went to the door and opened it, already knowing that it was Gale. Gale always came by on the day of the reaping, just to check up on you and make sure you were doing okay. He was the only person other than your mother who knew how nervous the reaping made you feel.

"Hey Y/N. How are you doing?"

"I'm okay I suppose. Nervous about the reaping."

"How about after breakfast we got into the woods?"

Gale always took you to the woods when you were worried or upset about something. He knew how much you loved just being outside and listening to the birds. What he didn't know was the main reason you loved it so much was that you got to spend time with him.

"Okay, I'd love that." You said, the thought making you smile.

Your mom came around the corner and seeing Gale, a smile grew on her face. Your mother liked Gale almost as much as you did. "I was just getting breakfast ready, why don't you come in and eat with us?"

"Okay, thanks Mrs. L/N."

"Of course Gale, you're always welcome here."

You all sat down for breakfast and once you finished, you helped clean up.

Afterwards, you thanked your mother for breakfast and grabbed a jacket from the coat rack and you and Gale headed out the door towards the woods. You felt a sense of calm surround you as you made your way through the fence and into the trees.

When you were younger, you always felt nervous about the woods. But ever since you started going with Gale, you found you weren't so worried anymore.

You found a log in the middle of the woods and sat down, Gale sitting next to you.

"I hate the reaping," you said, then looked around in a subconsciously to make sure no one else was around.

"Yeah, me too," Gale said. "I just hate the games altogether.

"It just makes me so nervous, I know my name's only in there five times, but I can't help but feel this nervousness."

"Yeah, I understand."

You didn't say anything else, and neither did Gale for a bit, leaving a silence before he spoke again. "Can I say something?"

You looked at him. "Yeah, of course."

He looked nervous, which was different for him. Gale never seemed nervous. "I just...I just wanted to say that I...I love you. Just, you know, in case one of us does get picked."

You looked down at your lap, trying to hide the big smile that was spreading across your face before you looked up at him. "I love you too."

You touched his face gently and leaned in, closing your eyes as your lips touched his. You lips moved together slowly as you kissed, before you pulled away.

You smiled at each other, then got up from the log and started the walk back, hand in hand.

You still felt a bit nervous about the games and the reaping, but having Gale there made you feel a lot better, like it always did.