First Date [Katniss x Haymitch] (Part 1)

A/N: So this was requested a while ago, but I forgot about it and remembered about it just now. Anyways, this takes place a little while after the rebellion against the Capitol in Mockingjay. The ending seems to just lead off somewhere, so I'm also going to be making a part 2 of this.

Katniss's POV

It was 10 o'clock in the morning and I was making breakfast while Peeta was sleeping in the upstairs bedroom. I heard a few knocks on the door and put down the spatula I was holding, leaving the pancakes on the griddle, and went to the door. I opened the door and saw Haymitch standing there, wearing a black suit with a white collar and a blue tie. He looked nice and relaxed and it reminded me of how he had been before the rebellion. "Here to see Peeta?" I asked, since seeing Peeta was the main reason he came here most of the time. I went back to the griddle, picked up the spatula again, and flipped another pancake.

"No, actually, I'm here to see you."

I felt a smile form on my lips but pushed it away. Ever since my first games, I had always loved Haymitch. I knew I was supposed to love Peeta earlier, but the rebellion was over now and it still felt like I had to stay with Peeta for the Capitol. For Snow.

I flipped the last of the pancakes and put them onto a plate before carrying them to the table and setting them down. "Here to see me for what?"

"Just to talk."

"Well, I'm right here."

His lips formed into a small smile. "You know, I actually missed your sarcasm. I meant outside in the woods. You could show me how you hunt."

"So like a date, then?"

"Maybe."

"OK, well let's eat first and then we can go out."

After we ate, I wrote a short note to Peeta saying that Haymitch came over and that we would be out in the woods. I got my jacket off the hook, grabbed my bow and arrows and we went into the woods. I showed him how Gale and I always used to get past the fences and check to see if they were electrified or not. We then went into the woods, to the place I always went to hunt and practice my shooting.

"So, how do you shoot that thing?" Haymitch asked, leaning against one of the trees.

I took out a arrow from my quiver."It's really easy. All you have to do is put the arrow into the bow," I said, loading my arrow into the bow and aiming for a mark on the tree ahead of me, "And shoot." I let go of the arrow and it flew forward, hitting the spot where I had aimed it to.

I heard slow clapping and looked over at Haymitch. He pushed himself off from the tree and came over to me. "Nice shooting, sweetheart," He murmured.

I immediately remembered the first time he said that, after I had shot an arrow at the apple in the pig's mouth during my first games.

"Probably easier said than done. Let me try."

I gave him the bow and the arrow. "Be careful."

"I always am, sweetheart." He had some trouble loading the arrow into the bow, but after a few tries, was able to get the arrow aimed at the tree.

He had the arrow aimed a little higher than where it should be, so I went over to him and touched his arms, fixing his posture. I felt him tense up a little and whispered "Relax, you're not going to hit anything if you're that tense."

He relaxed and I let go of him, moving to where I had been standing earlier.

I watched as he positioned himself a little before letting go of the arrow. It flew forward and it looked good at first, but ended up hitting the grass in front of the tree instead.

I went up to the tree and collected the arrows before walking back to him. "Want to try again?"

"No, I think that's enough shooting for one day."

I smiled, amused. "You know you only shot one arrow, right?"

"Yeah, I know that. How about we go to the Hob and get some cheese buns?"

"Cheese buns?"

"Yeah, I know how much you like them."

"You do?"

"Sweetheart, just because I'm drunk the majority of the time, doesn't mean I don't pay attention to things."

I put the arrows inside my quiver and slung them back over my shoulder.

We walked to the Hob and bought a few cheese buns. We each had a cheese bun while we walked back and when we reached the house, I put the rest in my bag.

I was about to go back into the house, when Haymitch stopped me. "Wait, I have to tell you something."

I felt my heart beat faster in my chest. I was pretty sure I knew what he was about to tell me, or, at least, what I hoped he was about to tell me.

He took a deep breath before saying, "I love you, Katniss. Whenever I come by, it's not so I can see Peeta, it's so I can see you. I was in love with you the first time I saw you volunteer for Prim and have been in love with you since. I love how passionate you are with your hunting and" he paused, "I just love you."

I smiled and said, "I love you too, Haymitch. But what about Peeta?"

He gave me a light kiss on the cheek. "Don't worry sweetheart, I'll take care of it."

We went back into the house and I saw Peeta standing by the window, holding the note that I had left him tightly in his hand, almost crushing it.

I was about to ask what was wrong when I noticed the window was open and realized that he had been watching us the whole time.