Peeta Imagine for Allie

I put my hand in my pocket and feel the smooth surface of my district token. I look around the arena and see that it's divided into 12 sections, each section separated by a bar of ground leading into the center of the circle where the Cornucopia is. In between each bar are two pedestals where the two tributes from each district are meant to stand. The rest of the circle is water and I can see the woods out past the Cornucopia and hear a beach behind me. It's weird seeing some of the tributes that I never thought I would see back in an arena to fight again. I got reaped a few years ago and never thought that I would get reaped again. I look beside me at my district partner, then look across from me to the other side of the circle at Peeta.

Even though Peeta wasn't in my district, we had become good friends when we had paired up as allies in our first games.

The gong goes off, indicating the start of the games, and I dive into the water and swim towards one of the bars. I climb onto it and start running towards the Cornucopia. I grab a backpack that I hope contains something useful and run across another bar until I reach the other side of the circle again. I then run into the forest, climb up a tree and find a strong branch to sit down on before starting to search through the bag. I find a rope and tie my legs to the tree with it. I probably wouldn't be up here for a long time, only until everyone was finished at the Cornucopia. I lay back against the tree and listen to the sound of the tributes fighting each other at the Cornucopia until, eventually, it becomes as quiet as it had been before the games started.

I untie myself from the tree and get down before starting to walk back to the Cornucopia. When I reach the Cornucopia, I look around to see if anyone is there, then look around for anything that I might need. I see a knife near the center of the Cornucopia and run to get it. It must have been in a pack of knives before, but just got dropped in a fight. I pick up the knife and turn around, only to come face to face with a tall, darker skinned guy holding a spear. I recognize him as Brutus, one of my allies in my first games. I freeze place, knowing that I don't want to kill him and that he probably doesn't want to kill me either. He doesn't seem to recognize me, though, and doesn't hesitate to raise the spear and I just watch as it comes towards me, until someone pushes him away and stands in front of me, trapping me between him and the Cornucopia.

Brutus regains his composure, then charges towards us. The person in front of me takes a knife out of his belt and drives it through his chest, but not before Brutus has the chance to bury his spear into my side.

I watch as Brutus collapses onto the ground before I do the same.

The person turns around and I see that it's Peeta. "Al-" He starts to say before he sees me laying on my side on the ground.

I touch my side where Brutus had hit me and wince, pulling my hand away to see blood on my fingers. The blood starts to fade as my vision blurs, but I'm still able to see Peeta kneel down next to me. There are tears in his eyes and I move a hand to his face and wipe a tear away. "Don't-" I begin, but my breathing is getting shallow and I have to stop.

His eyes widen, as if he suddenly realized how serious the situation is, and he takes his backpack off and unzips it, searching through it for something. He takes out a small metal container and twists off the lid and I see that inside is a white ointment. I watch as he sticks his two of his fingers into the ointment.

"Peeta, don't," I say, "It's too late."

"No," he says, "It's not too late." But he says it like he's saying it just to reassure himself that I'll be OK, and I can't know if he's right or not. He rubs the ointment into my wound and I flinch as I feel the coldness of the ointment touch my skin. He puts the lid back on the container and puts it back into the backpack before zipping it back up again. He puts the backpack back on and stands up before bending down and picking me up, holding me close to his chest and carrying me back into the woods. We go into this cave that I guess Peeta had found earlier on and he lays me down on the cold ground and takes off his jacket, laying it down over top of me. He then lays down beside me and I feel his arm wrap around my shoulders, pulling me into his chest to keep me warm. We listen to the sounds of the mockingjays until we fall asleep together in the safety of the cave.