31. the big experiment

"Good morning, class. Funny thing, I'm your 3rd professor this year. Sadly, I'll only be working with you for a very short amount of time, only writing your grades and being there when you accept your diploma or Ph.D. if I may. My name is professor Vincent Nelson and I'd like to know all of your names. I mean, I do know all of your names but I need to match them with your faces, so..."

The students' eyes followed the new professor around the room where he gathered a bunch of documents, assuming they're each student's ID document. 

"Zoe Myers." Zoe was startled out of her daydream as he looked up.

"Uh-um, that's me, professor." She raises her hand.

He nods and proceeds with his job. Zoe looks over at Jennifer. "I can't believe we're done."

"Me neither."

"He seems nice, though." Zoe comments, moving her eyes to the focused professor.

"I was going to make a joke but I'll just keep it to myself." Jennifer puts a hand on her mouth.

Zoe laughs, glad because she didn't gain the attention of the new professor. 

An hour passes quickly. They simply discussed their year and what are the students planning after university. "What about you, Miss Myers?"

Miss Myers.

"I, um, I've been thinking about a job at Arkham Asylum." She answers, playing with the pen in her hands.

"Good choice. You know, psychiatrists at Arkham are deeply respected, just like your professor Crane. I don't work at Arkham, I have a private office but I've met him a couple of times. He's really professional and very respected, as I've heard. You all should be proud he was your professor this year." He stands just like him, Zoe thought, well reserved, head high with his hands behind his back.

Stop it.

"Thank you, professor." She answers him.

He looks at his clock ."Anyway, an hour has passed. You're free to go." Walking back to his desk, the students stand up all at once on their way to the door.

"Damn, I feel nostalgic," Jennifer says, putting her designer bag over her shoulder.

"I just want it to be over, honestly."

"I agree, I agree."

"Uh, Miss Myers?" The professor calls out her name as her feet move from the stair.

"Yes?" She asks, her movement becoming still.

"Would you mind?" He points his index finger to his desk. Zoe glances at Jennifer, who nods, then walks out of the classroom, shutting the door behind her.

"Is there anything I can help with?"

"No, but...Actually yes. I uh, found this in Dr.Crane's office." He says, opening his drawer. "Before I show you this, you must know that I am not in any way trying to overstep some boundaries or make you uncomfortable. I just wanted to give you this." He grabs a piece of paper, taking a single glance at it, puts it on the table, and then rests his palms on it.

"It seems to me that Crane has a full document about your mental health. It looks like he's been keeping track of your well-being." The explanations create a million questions in her mind, freezing her for a bit.

"Oh, uh, may I see?" She extends her arm, implying that she wants to see the document.

He slowly hands the document as he talks. "Seems like he didn't want you to know about it but...my job was always to help my interns so, here you go. You have the right to see it. It's patient confidential."