6. shopping

Waking up to the sun shining right through the curtains and reflecting itself on the wall,  your toes warm under the blanket and knowing you don't have any classes that day -  that was a good morning for Zoe. Remembering what happened the other day and how their bodies made each other warm, it warmed her heart. Zoe felt happy.

She could feel Jonathan's hands caressing her body under his. Zoe was sad that he couldn't stay the night but he had work the next day. He made her promise that she wouldn't tell anyone, not even her best friend. It didn't matter that she wasn't underage, they were still just a professor and a student and she was about to become his intern. This had to stay a secret or else they'd be out of Gotham University by the morning. 

She made some coffee and sat on the sofa, scrolling through Instagram. She saw that she had an unread message from Jennifer, asking her where she was and what were her plans for that day.

not much jenn, i'll be in bed all day

Zoe replied, casually telling her best friend the plan for the day.

Jennifer was quick to text back, as always. 

i was thinking we could go shopping and then get some breakfast?

sounds cool. i just need to get ready and I will text u.

Zoe put down her phone and rubbed her eyes. She got up, put the mug in the sink and headed to the bathroom to take a quick shower. 

A couple of minutes later, she was done.

Jennifer was parked in front of Zoe's apartment. She didn't wait long until Zoe appeared, looking comfy and wearing her hair in a ponytail. Jenn smiled, she loved her hair like that.

"Hop in sexy."

"Are you serious? The mall is like 5 minutes away." Zoe complained, poking her head through the open window. "Get out of the car and let's go."

Jennifer sighed, getting her purse from the backseat. She locked the car and checked if it was parked alright.

"Look at the weather, it's really nice. We don't get this weather much here in Gotham. I wanna enjoy every second of it." Zoe said, her hands in her pockets.

"I guess you're right." Jennifer smiled, looking at Zoe. "Your face looks happy, share!" 

Zoe wished to spill everything about the other night, it was waiting at the top of her tongue just to roll out of her mouth, but she promised Jonathan. And herself. 

"The day's amazing and I get to spend it with you! What else could I ask for?"

"I know right? We haven't had the time to go shopping or even sit down and talk with no one actually bothering us."

"That's true."

1 hour later and the both girls were already holding bags in their hands and were walking to the next store.

"I never thought I'd say this but...I'm kinda lazy. I literally bought half of the previous store and now I just want to sit down and eat." Jennifer sighed, walking behind Zoe who was the first one to walk into the store. The cashier greeted them politely.

"We'll be quick, come on. I need some new set of lingerie."

Zoe heard Jennifer's footsteps stop, causing her to stop and look back.

"Who is it?"

"What?"

"I don't think you're buying new lingerie to win Noah back, Zoe."

"I'm not, I just haven't bought any in a while and I passed the exams so I'm about to treat myself." Zoe explained, looking around the colorful lingeries.

"Whatever you say." Jennifer looked with her. "Hey, these are nice." She said, showing a set of lingerie to her friend.

"They're sexy but let's see if they have them in red." Zoe said, taking them from Jennifer's hand and making her way to the cashier. Jennifer shook her head and followed her, sighing.

"Excuse me, do you have this set in red?"

"Let me see," The cashier took them to take a closer look. "Yes we do, just a second." 

Thankfully no one was at the store except Jennifer and Zoe. The cashier was able to help them fast so they could leave.

"Here you go." She placed them on the counter.

Zoe paid and they left the store with a discussion where to eat.

"There's a cute little restaurant down the street we should go there."

"The one you had a date with Nash a couple of months ago?" Zoe asked, teasing Jennifer.

"Exactly that one." She laughed. 

"I remember that day clearly!" Zoe said, laughing.

"Please, no, Zoe!" 

"Okay!"

---

"How's the steak?" Jennifer asked with her mouth full of food. Entering the restaurant reminded her of the awkward date she had all those months ago but the food made up to it.

"Amazing. I love it."

"I love this whole day. The weather is nice, there are a lot of people outside," Jennifer paused for a moment, looking outside. "We are together...We used to have real good times when all of us were together."

"I know, Jenn, I know. I haven't even heard from Noah." Zoe said, looking down at her plate.

"Everything was going our way."

"It still is."

"Yeah but I don't know I kind of miss our group."

"I do too but there's nothing we can do. What happened, happened and it is not our duty to make it go back." Zoe explained, while her dear friend looked at her with sad eyes.

"You're right but I can't help but notice that you feel kind of...relieved that we are not hanging out together anymore."

"We are now."

"I meant as a group...You, Noah, Lucas..."

"I just felt on the edge with them." 

Jennifer nodded, swallowing the last piece of her food. She wiped her hands and her mouth, looking at Zoe. "You're right. I've been meaning to ask you...Is there something going on with you and professor Crane?" Zoe suddenly stopped chewing and gulped, placing the fork next to her plate. She began to speak but Jennifer cut her off. "Please be honest with me."

Zoe shook her head. "There's not, honestly. He is a handsome man and a great teacher but there's nothing more. I'm just happy to be working with him and I'm looking forward to being his intern."

"Okay if you say so. Just...if something happens or if he did something to you please tell me you know I won't judge and I promise I will be there for you." Jennifer said, putting her head on top of Zoe's. She wanted to spill her guts right then and there. She wanted to tell her best friend everything that happened.

"I will, I promise. There's nothing going on for now."

She squeezed her hand, moving in her seat uncomfortably.