5. breathe, live

Zoe was caught up in reading her book at the cafeteria, enjoying her coffee. The day was cold and grey. She had to wear a coat that day, she even added a scarf. She was excited for Christmas since it was in a month. 

"Earth to Zoe!" Jennifer waved her hand in front of Zoe, gaining her full attention this time. She took a seat in front of her with Lucas following close behind. 

"Oh, hey. Sorry, I was reading." Zoe said, putting her bookmark on the page she'd stopped reading and closed it.

"It seems like all you do lately is read and it is getting so fucking boring." Jennifer said, closing her eyes to make her annoyance more obvious. Zoe slightly laughed.

"Yeah, you should give her some attention because I can't stand her whining anymore." Lucas, who just wanted his peace, said.

"Oh, what? Now she's bothering you while you're gaming?"

"Yes, actually." He said.

Jennifer look at them both with raised eyebrows, gasping. "I thought y'all liked me."

"Shut up, we love you. I'm sorry I wasn't there much, needed some space." Zoe said, looking down at her plastic cup of coffee.

"You can talk to me, you know?"

"Where is Noah?"

"Don't tell me you've been distant because of Noah?" Jennifer asked, putting some of her hair behind her ear, leaning back on her chair.

"Noah is nowhere to be seen, literally. He doesn't even answer his phone." Lucas spoke up, looking at both Zoe and Jennifer.

Zoe widened her eyes. "See?" 

"Well..."

"I know we had a fight and all but he could at least show up at school for his fucking studies. Exams are on their way and he will fail all of them."

"Except maybe he is studying at home and that's why he is ignoring everyone." Jennifer said.

"Noah? Studying?" Lucas asked. 

"Whatever, honestly. I can't deal with this shit." Zoe said, picking up her books and putting her bag over her shoulder. "I'm going to class."

"Art?" 

"Yeah. See you later." 

"What's up with her?" Jennifer asked. Zoe was getting skinnier and paler each day that passed by. 

"Everyone needs some time to bond with themself, Jenn. Not everyone escapes a bad mood by going shopping." Lucas said, standing up. "I'm going to class, see you sis."

He was right. 

In the meantime, Zoe was trying her hardest to avoid Crane in the hallways but luck wasn't on her side often lately.

"Miss, Myers." His voice hit her like a cold brick, it went under her skin, leaving a mark that seemed to shake her whole existence.

"Yes, professor?" She turned to his direction, readjusting her books in her hands.

Crane looked around to see if someone was watching them. Since they were standing by the main staircase and most of the students were in the classrooms, it was peaceful.

"May I ask, why are you avoiding me?" Strangely, he didn't have his briefcase with him this time, must be in the teacher's room.

"I...I wasn't. You're my professor, I don't think we have business outside of the classroom." She said. The look on her face was as if she'd seen a ghost.