Chapter 23

Jhene
Four Months Later...

"And there's your baby." The doctor said pointing at the monitor. I smiled widely as I stare at the baby monitor in awe.

"Oh my god." I said, tearing up a bit. Michael is sitting right beside me, his eyes never leaving the monitor as he's holding my hand.

"So, do you two want to know the gender of your baby?" The doctor asked. Michael and I turn our attention to her as we look away from the monitor.

"Is it too soon to know the gender?" I asked and she shakes her head.

"No, you're 20 weeks, Ms. Chilombo. We're able to tell the sex of the baby by now. Do you want to know the gender of your baby?" She asks and Michael speaks up.

"I'd like for it to be a surprise." He nods his head at the doctor and I nod my head in agreement.

"Yeah, me too." The doctor smiled and nods at us.

"Okay, that's not a problem. Well your baby is healthy."

Thank god.

"I want you to continue what you're doing, and try to take things easy. Continue eating healthy and drink lots of water."

"I will."

"Alright, well I'll see you two next month. Have a good day." She smiled and I smiled back.

"Same to you."

Once she's gone, I get off the bed and walked over to the changing room. When I'm done, I stepped outside and Michael is leaning against the wall, waiting for me.

"Ready?" He asked and I nod.

"Yes, did you collect the prescription?" I asked and he nods.

"Yeah, it's right here."

"Thanks." I said, taking it from him. We walked out the building to the parking lot when suddenly, he grabs my hand.

"Hey, want to come over to my place? I can cook us something because I'm starving." He looks over at me and I look at him.

"You want me to come over to your place?" I asked, giggling a bit and he nods.

"Yes."

"I'm not going."

"Why not?"

"Because the last time I was over there, you threatened to call the police on me and put a restraining order on me too. So no, Michael." We both get in his car and he looks over at me.

"Jhene, I didn't mean that."

I take a deep breath and look out the window. It's hard for me to believe anything he say because he sure as hell sounded like he meant everything he said that day.

"So you want to come over over what?" He asked and I rolled my eyes.

"No, just take me home." He shakes his head at me as he starts the car and drive off. I continued to look out the window on our way to my place, we didn't say a word to each other. When we get to my place, he turns off the engine and looks at me. I look over at him.

"Thanks for taking me to the clinic today." I mutter and he gives me a small smile.

"You're welcome."

We then grew silent as he stares intensely at me. I look away and tuck my hair behind my ear.

"Why do you keep doing that?" He asked, breaking the silence. I look at him, confused.