thirty

Arabella's POV

Billy had dropped me off at my house after a twenty minute drive through numerous neighborhoods, ending the chaotic adventure with rough fingers turning my jaw, a thirty second kiss, and an infamous smirk.
The minute I stepped inside, my mom and dad bombarded me with disapproving looks and concerned questions on why I hadn't let them know sooner where I had been and if I knew where Steve was. After an excruciating amount of carefully thought out answers as to why I didn't tell them I was going over to Pam's for multiple spent nights or why Steve was still with Nancy, I was allowed to retire to bed.

I didn't really know what to make of all this. In my head, repeatedly going over everything that had happened, nothing seemed to be real. If someone came up to me and told me that their friend was stuck in a tree portal and that they were chased by some other dimensional demon dog and that they found their missing car in a rotting pumpkin patch, I definitely wouldn't believe them. Yet, here I am, trying to believe myself. Trying to believe my own eyes. Maybe it was all some weird, crazy dream? I did hit my head pretty hard when I fell trying to stop the fight between Billy and Steve. The fight...

I lifted up the bottom of my shirt and sure enough, a dark purplish bruise had formed close to my hip where Billy's elbow accidentally connected. Everything that had happened was real. Meaning Barb is still out there, stuck in the tree, we were actually chased by demon dogs, and even the argument with Billy.

Sleep didn't come easy with all of these thoughts, so instead, I turned on my bedside lamp and started on a new novel I had recently picked up. After a few minutes, I realized that concentration wasn't coming too easily either. My mind kept wandering back to the frigid water and the warmth radiating off of Billy while pulling me to the surface, or to the feeling of his slightly chapped lips moving roughly against mine. Wandering back to the overwhelming scent of his cologne in his car, or the feel of his soft curls coiled around my fingers.

I put the book down and happily let my mind swirl with images and scenarios of Billy before finally drifting off to sleep.

***

It was Tuesday morning and somehow my parents had believed that I had gone to school yesterday, spending the night at Pam's on Sunday, due to my convincing answers to their specific questions. As I got dressed, a feeling of giddiness welled up inside of me at the thought of getting to see Billy. I wasn't sure if he was going to try and pick me up or not, he had never clarified other than mentioning that he would like to pick me up and drop me off when he claimed he wasn't getting enough attention from me.

I rushed through breakfast, stuffing my mouth from lack of a decent meal in a few days. My parents made me promise to come straight home after school as some sort of tactic to keep an eye on me and I agreed, practically running to the door in hopes of seeing the blue camaro. I took in a deep breath, my hand resting on the knob, checked my appearance in a reflection on my left, and swung open the door. The driveway was empty. A frown made its way onto my face and a tiny pit of disappointment in my stomach.

I let out a huff and adjusted my backpack straps. Guess I'll be walking, like usual.

About two minutes of walking down the sidewalk, I heard the familiar roar of Billy's camaro approaching behind me. He pulled up beside me, music blaring out of the speakers, and got out of the car.

"You actually thought I was gonna let you walk to school?" Billy leaned against the hood of his car and smirked at me.

"Um, I - I dont know. You weren't in the driveway when I came out, so I just assumed-"" I fiddled with my fingers as he let out a deep chuckle.

"Sorry, doll face. I was running a bit late." Billy smiled, pulling out a cigarette and lighting it. "Guess I'll have to start getting up earlier if I want to pick you up." He blew out a puff of smoke away from me.

"Well, I just- I don't like being late for class, that's all." I really wasn't trying to be picky, but Billy wasn't exactly the best known for being in class, at all.

"You realize what time it is?" Billy held out his wrist with the watch on it and I moved closer to read the time.

"7:58?! Class starts in two minutes!! Billy, what are we gonna do?" He stood from his leaning position and moved behind me to take my backpack, placing it in the backseats.

"Well, I was thinking about some breakfast? The diner?" Billy let out another puff of smoke and raised his eyebrows.

"Oh, I'm okay. I already ate-"" I was cut off as Billy moved closer to me, his hands grabbing my waist, his mouth nearing my ear.

"How about this? We move this to the backseats, and I get all the breakfast I want." Billy stomped out his cigarette and tucked some hair behind my ear. I didn't quite understand what he meant by that, but knowing Billy, it was probably something gross.

"Billy, we need to get to class! We're already-"", I lifted up his watch and read the time again. "3 minutes late!" Without waiting for him to move, I opened the passenger door and sat down in the seat. He hung his head for a second and I could see the slightest hint of a smile before he moved to get back in the drivers seat.

"Just one taste, princess." His hand landed on the inside of my thigh.

"4 minutes late, Billy! Go, go, go!" I let out a slight giggle as he huffed and started the engine.

"You owe me, tiny Harrington."

( not my photo) sorry for making y'all wait so long!! i love y'all and thank you for all the sweet comments and positive attitudes:)))

-blazingdemon