thirty-three

*slightly graphic scene in this chapter

Billy's POV

Alright, Bella. Where the hell did you disappear to?

She's definitely not at Nancy's, hell, I don't think she even likes Nancy. Then again, she doesn't really have any other friends...

I honked my car horn aggressively at the car in front of me and swerved around it when I got the idea. Jonathan Byers, the freak. I found her hanging around him once, I might find her there again.

Dodging around slow drivers and speeding around the curves, I quickly made it to the Byers' house and slammed my car door shut. I walked up to the front door, knocking repeatedly and ringing the doorbell. Who I am assuming to be Jonathan's mom answered the door.

"Um, hello. Who are you?" She didn't fully open the door and I could tell she was being cautious.

"Billy Hargrove. You probably know my younger sister Max? Redhead and always carries a skateboard?" I stuffed my hands in my pockets and watched as she slowly nodded her head.

"Well, did you need something? She's not here right now..." She looked around to see if anyone else was with me.

"Is Jonathan here? Or Arabella Harrington? You see, we're doing something for school and I just needed some help with my part of the project." I easily lied.

"Um, Arabella isn't here, but Jonathan is. I'll send him out, just wait here a second." She hurried back into the house.

A few moments later, the freak walked out of the house, attempting to keep a safe distance from me.

"Hargrove? What do you want?" He asked warily. He kept a hand on the door in case he needed to get away quick.

"Don't act stupid. I'm not in the mood. Where is she?" I was getting frustrated and lit myself a cigarette, huffing the smoke in his direction.

"Where is who?! I don't know what you're talking about!" He gripped the doorknob even harder, avoiding eye contact.

"Bella. I know she's in there." I pointed my cigarette in the direction of the house and glared at him. "Either you bring her out here or I'm going in." I threatened him.

"What?! You're not coming into my house! My mom's in there! And I have no idea what you're talking about. Bella isn't here and if you can't find her, it's probably because you're a douche!" Jonathan slightly turned to start walking away, but I pushed him to the ground before he could go anywhere.

"I'm gonna ask you again. Where. Is. Bella?"

Arabella's POV

"Lets go."

Barb and I bolted back in the direction I came as quickly and quietly as we could. We were constantly scanning our surroundings to make sure the creature wasn't in sight. The both of us were quickly losing our breath, but there was a silent agreement that we both weren't ready to stop. Not until we found the tree.

We ran for another five minutes, attempting to recognize our surroundings, but quickly becoming panicked at the sight of the same cliff rock that I first found Barb at. She grabbed my arm to stop me from running any further.

"Bella?! We just ran in a circle! What are we gonna do?" Barb frantically asked me as she started to pace back and forth.

"I- I don't know! I thought we were going the right way, I swear!" I leaned against the rock to catch my breath. "We have to try again. There is a way out of here. We just have to find it." I attempted to reassure her.