twelve

With no signs of Barb and the feeling that I had done something wrong to upset Billy, I dreaded any contact with people as my life fell into a depressing black hole.

Not really, I was just upset.  One of my best friends is missing and the boy I have a complicated relationship with is upset with me.  Monday had come fairly quickly and I wanted nothing more than to dropout of school.  Nonetheless, I got dressed, ate my eggs and bacon, and was out the door.  Steve had left early to go over his research paper with Nancy so I was stuck walking.

Twenty minutes passed and I was walking through the front doors of the school.  I noticed Billy's blue camaro parked in its usual spot, the Max girl quickly skating away.  I turned around and headed outside again to see if Billy would talk to me.

Billy stepped out of his car, rock music blaring from inside.  I hesitantly and slowly strided over to him.  He glanced at me and walked over.

"Hi, Bil-".  He walked right past me, almost knocking me over.  A feeling of sadness came over me as I watched him walk inside.

I closed my locker as a whistle was heard behind me. Looking over my shoulder, Tommy smirked at me, his eyes raking over my body. He moved over to me and leaned on my locker.

"What's up, hot stuff?" Before I could process anything that he had done, Tommy's head slammed against the lockers and Billy came into view. "What the hell, man?!"  Tommy's hand was checking his head for injuries, not having enough time to block Billy's punch to the jaw.

Tommy fell to his knees and Billy got on top of him, repeatedly swinging his fist at Tommy's face.

"Billy, stop!!"  I moved out of the way as Billy slammed Tommy's head on the ground.  A crowd was gathering around the two of them.  Tommy at first tried to fight back, but soon moved on to attempting to shield his face.

"Enough!!"  The principle had made his way through the crowd and was cautiously putting his arm between the two boys.  Nonetheless, Billy kept punching.  The principle, obviously deciding to man up, grabbed the back of Billy's collar and yanked him to a standing point.  Tommy was helped up from someone in the crowd and they both were escorted to the office.

***
The school day had come to an end and as I was walking towards the exit, I came across Billy sitting on the bench outside of the office.  Nervously, I sat about three feet away from him and noticed his hands.  Bloodied and bruised.

"Billy...". He let out an irritated sigh and cracked his swollen knuckles.

"What?"  His harsh tone caught me off guard a bit.

"Why'd you do it?" I softly grabbed one of his hands and studied how damaged it was. Three of his fingers were definitely broken.  He drew his hand back to his own lap.

"... I don't-". Tommy came through the door and glared the best he could with his newly marred face at Billy.

"You, my office, now!"  The principle pointed at Billy and waited, holding the door open.

Billy let out another sigh before stalking into the office, fists balled by his sides.

-blazingdemon