Coffee Shop Confessions

I hate myself for what I just did. After I'm out of Lennon's sight line, I duck into the bathroom and explode into tears. I was so… heartless. I had turned into the girl who played with guys feelings, then rejected him. Of course it wasn’t really like that, because I did like him, but it sure seemed that way.

I had to keep my distance, so I wouldn’t feel worse than I already did. Ignoring him seemed like the best approach, so that's exactly what I did. He didn’t deserve it, but it would make things easier, an eventually he would see that.

I get home and start on my English homework, but then a thought pops into my head. Texting him couldn’t hurt, really. I had said I wanted to be friends…. I debate about it for several minutes, weighing the pros and cons

I sigh, and decide that texting him couldn’t really do any harm.

Jasper/Hi… sorry about today.

I press send and try to finish my work, but can't focus. Lennon answers a couple minutes later.

Lennon/I get if you just want to be friends.

Jasper/ I'm not the kind of girl to mess with a guys feelings, honest.

Lennon/I know.

Jasper/ Its better this way

Lennon/ If you say so.

This seemed like the end of the conversation, but I don’t want to say goodbye.  He doesn’t seem to want to either, judging by the text he sent me.

Lennon/ Are you busy?

My heart flutters.

Lennon/Don’t freak. Its not a date.

Lennon/ If you don’t want it to be.

Jasper/ I don’t know….

Lennon/ We’re friends, remember?

It's almost like he's challenging me, and so I feel the need to say yes.

Jasper/Okay. But its not a date.

Lennon/Whatever you say, Jazz. I'll be there in 10.

I decide that maybe I should get changed, seeing as I was in my pajamas. I slip on a big black sweater that was cropped off at my belly button and my high-waisted  grey skirt with sheer purple leggings underneath. I throw my hair up into a messy bun and go to tell my mom I'm leaving.

When I find my mom, she's hunched over her super-old computer typing something.

"I'm going out with Lennon."

She turns around,  a smile on her face. "like on a date?"

"No, like two friends going out."

"Where are you going?"

"Not sure. He just said that he would pick me up innn…" I check my watch "Oh. Right now"