Distractions

I go to school the next morning with a smile on my face. Jazz and I have science second period together, so math passes in a blur. By the time I slide into my seat, I'm buzzing with nervous excitement. I sit behind her, and poke her shoulder.

"Hey... Pssst... Jazz!" I whisper scream at her. She turns around, a mock grimace on her face.

"Yes?" She says, and this may be my imagination, but I think I saw the corner of her mouth twitch. I try to put on my best charming smile.

"I had fun last night." As I say this, I see Alice throw Jazz a questioning look. She must not have told her about out date-but-not-date. I find myself wondering if maybe she's ashamed she went out with me. I force myself to look unaffected, and wave to Alice. She smile half-heatedly and turns around quickly.

"Shh, the teachers coming in." Jasper whispers to me and turns around, just as Mrs. Hallowburry walks into the room, giving as all a pointed look. She doesn't say a word as she hands the tests out.

"You may begin when you get it." She says, going to sit on her desk. Then she abruptly clears her throat and gives me a pointed look.

"Eyes on your paper, Lennon, not the back of Miss. Jaspers head. If she is too much of a distraction for you, maybe you should do your test during lunch period." I stare back at her with ferocity. I've never liked her, and she's never liked me. We antagonize each other on a daily basis.

"No worries, I'm sure I'll be able to resist Jasper long enough to write this little test." I say in the lazy voice I know she hates, leaning back in my chair and putting my hands behind my head. I see Jasper's shoulders shaking lightly, and know that she's laughing to herself.