I Watched It Begin Again

"Hey, you two supernatural teenage boys," My mom yells at Scott and Isaac after a loud crash sounded around the house. "Don't test my entirely un-supernatural level of patience."

As soon as I step out of my room she walks away, trying to ignore whatever heightened version of teenage drama is going on. Waking up to Isaac on the floor next to a a falling picture frame with a smug Scott standing across from him. Believe it or not, this isn't unusual.

"Feel better?" Isaac asks Scott.

"Um, do I even want to know?" I mostly joke, but a very real hesitation still hangs low in my stomach.

"No," they both tell me in unison. And with that I walk back into my room.

When I found out I was sharing a wall with someone who has supernatural hearing, I was upset to say the least. Scott confirmed my worst nightmares by admitting he occasionally eavesdropped. I don't even want to know what he heard.

I asked Deaton for help with my privacy issue. He told me he wasn't exactly sure how to create a sound barrier, but he would try. We made some weird paste out of wolfsbane, mistletoe, and mountain ash; Apparently, all of the good stuff. We stuck the paste inside of my walls, like some form of insulation, in hopes of adequate supernatural sound blockage.

To test our project out, we had Isaac stand in Scott's room and try to listen to our conversation. I trust him more than I trust my own brother. He admitted that our voices were muffled quite a bit, but he could still make out certain words and phrases.

I was disappointed that it didn't offer complete soundproof, but it serves it purpose. In retrospect, I think that I needed this. Those few days we spent intensely focused, adjusting my life to fit in the supernatural world surrounding me, was honestly therapeutic. I don't think I'll ever get used to any of it, but at least I'm making something work.

Going to school is going to be difficult. I had so many routines that involved Tessa. It feels like I'm starting over again, but I still can't forget what I've been through.

I'm not saying I want to forget Tessa, because I don't. I wouldn't trade the memories we made for anything. In fact, remembering her is the only thing that keeps me sane. Sometimes it feels as though I'm dying and the only thing keeping me alive is an IV full of our memories. However, my life would be a whole lot easier if I could just shove her out of my mind for five seconds. I feels as though everything I do, everything I have, circles back to her. I can't escape the fact that I killed my best friend.

Luckily, Scott has really taken me under his wing. I'm glad that he's such a good brother, because in a time like this, I don't think I could do it alone.

Life keeps moving. The only issue is that I never got my drivers license. In fact, I suck at driving. I never really thought I had to learn anytime soon. Tessa gave me rides everywhere, so what was the point? I guess the point was that you can't count on anything or anyone.

I especially mull over this fact during the breakfast before my first day back at school. I eye my mother as she chugs the rest of her orange juice. "Mommy," I smile at her and bat my eyes innocently. When she looks up I question, sweetly, "Can you take me to school?"

"I'm so sorry, but I have to get to work like 15 minutes ago. Ask Scott" She motions to Scott's helmet on the kitchen table while lazily putting away her dishes.

"I am not riding on that thing!" While Scott might bounce back pretty easily from a motorcycle crash, I won't.

"I don't know, you'll have to figure something out." She kissed my forehead and runs out the door. "Maybe try the bus?"