Right Down the Rabbit Hole

I walk out of History a little late. I'm really slow, but I only had a few questions left to answer, so I thought I'd finish. I do not need anymore homework after missing three weeks of school. As soon as I turn the corner I see Scott and Stiles rush into an empty classroom. Curiosity may have killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back. In other words, I follow them into the room, even though it feels like a bad idea.

"Bella," Stiles yells as soon as he sees me. "What are you doing?"

"What am I doing?!"

"Get back. Get away from me!" Scott growls.

"Scott, it's okay." Stiles assures him.

"Stiles?" I whisper, tiptoeing closer to him. "What's happening to him?"

"I don't know what's going to happen." Scott reminds me of his hearing "Get back!"

Stiles grabs me by my wrists and pulls me behind him. He keeps me close, probably because he thinks I'm going to do something stupid. He holds me against his back, which would normally drive me crazy, but the fact that I have to be protected from my own brother is off-putting.

Scott appears to get all wolfy for a second, but he controls himself. He digs his claws into his palms, causing a great amount of blood to cover his hands. It's kind of disturbing, but I can't complain to much. At least I'm not the one getting clawed. After a few seconds he seems to calm himself, lose all energy, and fall to the ground. Stiles approaches him cautiously, keeping me only inches behind him the whole time.

Once I notice him visibly returning the the boy my brother usually is, I stutter out, "Sc-Scott? Are you— What's going on?"

"Pain makes you human," Scott explains.

"Scott this isn't just in our heads. This is real." Stiles mumbles. "And its starting to get bad for me too."

I look up at him with concern, and we lock eyes for a minute, but he's too stubborn to let me sympathize, and looks away.

"I'm not just having nightmares," he continues "I'm having these dreams where I have to literally scream myself awake. And sometimes I'm not even sure if I'm actually waking up."

"What do you mean?" Scott asks.

"Do you know how to tell if your dreaming?" Stiles starts "You can't read in dreams. More and more, the past few days, I've been having trouble reading. It's like I can't see the words. I can't put the letters in order."

"Like even now?" Scott shakes his head.

Stiles stands up and walks closer to the board so he can try and read, but he still has a blank stare, implying that he can't comprehend what any of it is saying. He looks around the room, trying to read more posters and signs, anything with words. "I can't read a thing."

***

The next day in Economics isn't much better. While Scott seemed to be controlling the side effects, Stiles looks like he's struggling. He's anxiously writing something on a paper. I sit directly behind him, so I can't see what he is writing. His trembling shoulders tell me that its not anything good. Stiles has been so tense lately. I want to help him, so badly, but I don't know what he needs.

"I asked you a question." Coach states, interrupting both Stiles and I from our distracted states. Stiles is this way due to the aftermath of human sacrifice, and I'm this way because I care too much about my middle school crush.

"Uh, sorry Coach." He stutters "What was it?"

"Oh it was, uh, 'Stilinski are you paying attention back there?'"