Something's Made Your Eyes Go Cold

"Mom, I don't feel good," I groan as she opens my blinds.

"Well you stayed up half of the night watching Stiles sleep," She looks down at me with laughter in her gaze. "You brought this upon yourself."

"You're making me sound creepy."

She plops down next to me on my bed. "It's not creepy," she comments softly. "It's actually kind of cute."

I throw my teddy bear that Stiles got me for my birthday this year at her. Of course, I miss horrible and it shoots across my bedroom, landing on a pile of useless crap. My aim has not improved since the night I thought Stiles was a murderer. It feels like that's the only thing that hasn't changed since then.

"Either way, I don think I'll be able to go to school today." It's not a complete lie. I'm way too worried about Stiles to try and prove a triangle. Why do I even need to prove a triangle? If it has three sides, it has three sides. The excess work is unnecessarily stressful. Trust me, I have enough to be stressing about right now.

"I'll be at work all day, so don't do anything stupid."

***

After my mom leaves, I try my best to fix whatever is going on with my face and my hair. My confidence is usually pretty low, so I never think I look great, but this is on a whole new level. I'm not even being that dramatic, I look like I got hit by a bus. Once I get a little cleaned up, I search my mom's room for the car keys and sneak away.

Deaton told me to come to him if anything bad starting happening. I think this qualifies as bad. Something is happening with Stiles and it's freaking me out. I was really hoping he'd get a little bit of peace last night, but even his slumber was relentlessly restless. He was tossing and turning the whole time I was there, and he wouldn't stop muttering words in his sleep. Sometimes he would say my name, which would make me blush despite the fact that it's probably not under the best context. But I'll settle for any context at all when it comes to being seen by him. Other than that, he was hard to understand, but he sounded scared. Terrified, actually. The worst part is that he was scared of himself.

"Deaton." I yell over the entrance bell "I think it's ab--"

I'm cut off when I see a client and his dog in the room. The human is a male, mid twenties, and he's crying. Like, really hard. Oh my God. I inspect the situation further and come to the conclusion that the dog is being put down. And I-- I am a horrible person. "I'm just going to wait out here."

I'm only in the waiting room for about twenty minutes, not feeling any better as the man's sobs echo throughout the building. I guess I just forgot that Deaton ran an actual business He always seems to be helping us with something. Next time I'm in need of assistance, I'll have to schedule an appointment. I'm not risking it. After what feels like ages, Deaton coaxes the disheartened man out the door, and I mutter some lame apology.

"Bella," Deaton gives me a lighthearted look of disapproval "What did you want to talk about?"

"You told me to talk to you if something bad started happening."

"And after last night, you figured something unnatural was occurring," he infers.

"Well, yeah." I confirm "Don't you?"

He takes a long pausing, stringing his thoughts together, before he continues "Have they told you about the Nogitsune?"

"The what?"

"I didn't think so," he laughs a little. I don't know what's so humorous.

I'm trying to piece together the puzzle. They told me that I had the whole picture, but I guess that was a lie "Deaton, what?"