Everyone Looked Worse in the Light

As soon as I hop in the jeep my phone starts buzzing. The picture on my screen reveals that it's Allison calling. They're probably already at my house, waiting for me, and I gave them no explanation as to why I wouldn't be there. Either they're worried for me, or pissed.

"Hello?"

"Hey Bella," Dance music blares behind them.

"What's up?"

"Look, we're really sorry, but we couldn't wait any longer."

"Oh," I turn away from Stiles.

"Don't take it personally. We just have dates and stuff."

"No it's fine."

"Operation Kiss Greenberg is still in action, though. Just text us as soon as you get here and we will take care of you."

"Okay. I'll be there in a few minutes. Bye."

"Love you."

I slap my phone in my lap and sigh. It's a little disappointing. Walking into the party with them would have soothed my nerves. I don't know how I'm going to manage this on my own. What if he thinks I'm ugly and never ends up kissing me? That would be so embarrassing. I don't think I'd be able to show my face for weeks. However, it would be worth it as long as Kira was able to delete her photos. Helping out my friend is more important than my pride.

I don't know what to call Kira. My friend, my best friend? She's the closest friend I have right now, but that feels like such a sacred title. Tessa is my best friend, and just because she's gone, doesn't mean that I can replace her. Guilt floods my body from just thinking about it. Also, it's a little sad that my closest friend is someone who I've only known for a week or two. Kira's cool, though. She and Tessa would have loved each other. That simple thought puts all stress to rest.

"What was that about?" Stiles voice shocks me. I was so caught up in my own world, I forgot I was sitting with him.

"Just take me to the party," I mumble and cross my arms, not even trying to hide my disappointment.

"Oh," He starts the car "Well, like I said, I think you look good right now."

I shoot him an incredulous look.

"I like your jeans."

"My jeans?"

"Yeah," He smiles "They're very flattering."

"Ew, don't say that." I cough.

"Why not?"

Because the thought of you finding any part of me attractive turns me into mush, and I'd really like to be a solid, functioning person right now. "I hate these jeans."

"You wear them all the time!" He laughs and shakes his head at the same time. He knows I'm arguing for the sake of arguing.

"Since when have you payed attention to what pants I wear?" Immediate regret fills my face. That sounded like flirting. I was not flirting.

"Um," he doesn't know how to respond, of course.

"Just drive," I squeak.

He drives me to the party, mainly in silence. At one point we got into an argument over whether Twilight or Star Wars had the bigger cultural impact. He put up quite the fight, but I think I won. Although, he might disagree with that too. Stiles is just really stubborn. I agreed to watch Star Wars with him, and then we fell back into an awkward, tension-filled silence.

After what feels like and hour, but was actually only 15 minutes, Stiles pulls up out side of what's apparently Derek's loft. I haven't met Derek Hale yet, but I've heard a lot about him. Not going to lie, he sounds like a pretty chaotic guy. People's opinions of him are very polarizing. I've come to the conclusion, that he's kind of a good guy, but he doesn't like that fact about himself. I'm really looking forward to the day our paths cross.