06 A Land of Stories

Madeline is now confused more than ever. 

'Evil Queen?' she thought. 'Land of Stories? What even is reality now? Everything here seems like something twisted that came straight out of a story book!' 

She blinked. "I'm sorry. What?" she asked, part of her still thinking that this was all a joke. 

"You heard her," a gentlemanly voice spoke from beside her. "She's the Evil Queen." 

Maddie turned to the direction of the voice, only to find the other raven on top of a wooden perch. 

"What's up? The name's Crow," the bird spoke as it saluted at her with its right wing. 

Maddie's eyes went wide. She wanted to scream, but she also felt like she needed to correct something. 

"Crow? But you're a raven," she pointed out, raising an eyebrow. 

"I know," Crow responded. "And she's literally the actual Evil Queen in the flesh." 

Maddie then turned to the woman, who was still standing on the desk. 

"The Evil Queen?" she asked, still not believing anything. "As in silver bodice, poisoned comb, poisoned apple Evil Queen?" 

Reina let out a chuckle and a sigh. "Yes!" she exclaimed, getting the attention of more passersby. She then hopped off of the desk with a grunt. "But I only did the poisoned apple bit," she continued with a wince. "Those other attempts were the ones that were done by my eldest ancestor." 

"She's right," Crow said from his perch.

Maddie yelped as she turned to him. 

Reina laughed at the teenager's reaction. "But nonetheless…" she spoke as she threw her staff to the side. She then held her hands out at the dissipating crowd.

Maddie then turned to her. 

"I am the most powerful sorceress ever after known!" She proudly placed a hand on her chest. "I am respected! Feared! And--" 

"In serious trouble!" an officer wearing a plain navy blue falcon mask exclaimed as he slammed his hand onto the surface of the desk whilst holding a clipboard. 

The crowd that had gathered around screamed as they ran away from the scene, not wanting to be part of any trouble that would be caused. 

The officer then held up a wanted poster that had a photo of Reina and Crow on it. They were both facing the camera. And the woman seemed furious and was holding a book in one hand, and she had her staff pointed at something in front of her. While Crow was perched on her right shoulder, emotionless. 

"Reina 'The Evil Queen'," the officer began, "you are wanted for misuse of magic and the cursing of Wonderland." He then took out a pair of handcuffs and held it up. 

"Wonderland?" Maddie mumbled. 

"You are hereby arrested and must come with me to the Penitentiary," the guard continued. 

Reina rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. "Would you quit following me around? I haven't done anything bad since that day." 

The guard frowned. "You and your bird started a jail riot the other week," he pointed out. 

"Hey!" Crow retorted from his perch. "It was never a riot! Just a good karaoke session with me using my amazing singing voice as a distraction." 

The guard retained his frown. He then turned to Maddie and pointed at her. "And you're coming too!" He drew a green circle on thin air, summoning vines that wrapped around and tied the teen's wrists together. "For fraternizing with a criminal!"