23 A Sword In Stone

After taking a stop by the stream, the trio went on with their journey.

Lizzie and Maddie remained quiet towards each other for the rest of the way. Only speaking to each other whenever they were asked by Me if they were doing okay. Or if they were going the right way, on Maddie's part.

But amidst the silence between them, Lizzie's thoughts were a mess.

"I know that you are a princess from Wonderland, but this is just a fun quest. And in this quest, you're…"

"You're just a tag-along,"

Hearing those words from Madeline made her realize, once again, that she's not in her kingdom anymore.

And the fact that Maddie didn't answer her question on whether she's still mad at her or not, is making her rethink about her actions towards the tri-colored-haired girl earlier that day.

She knew she should let people in her life. But being the future Queen of Hearts, she has to build a reputation of not caring about others. She already has Kitty, Jennifer, and her temperamental yet loving mother in her life. Does she really need more?

She sighed. 'Why must this human come here and mess with my mind about things?' she thought, although not really annoyed.

She was utterly confused. And being confused is not a good trait for a future queen.

She was pulled back to reality when they took an abrupt stop.

They have arrived in front of a stone pillar. The pillar had carvings that Lizzie couldn't understand.

And she was sure that Maddie couldn't understand them either.

"Our journey ends here," Me spoke, facing the two. He then gestured towards the path ahead of them. "Once you walk past these trees and bushes, you will find the sword you're searching for."

Lizzie looked at the boy. Her confusion was doubled when she heard him say those words.

From her side, she could see Maddie rolling the map that they were using and nodding.

"What exactly do you mean by that last bit?" Lizzie asked Me, sounding alarmed.

And from her side, Lizzie could see Maddie furrowing her eyebrows as she looked at her.

"He's just saying that we're here. There's nothing suspicious about that," Maddie replied.

Lizzie looked at her. "Well, he did say 'once you walk past'," Lizzie responded before turning to Me. "Are you not joining us?"

"I can't. I have to return to my post," the young knight responded before looking at his wrist. "Oh! Look at the time! I have to go."

And with that, she watched the boy leave.

"He wasn't even wearing a watch!" Lizzie stomped her foot with a grunt once he was out of sight.

"I know that having tantrums is part of who you are and who you're supposed to be," Maddie said, getting her attention.

Lizzie turned to her, not knowing that her eyebrows were arched and were reflecting what she's feeling at the moment. Anger.

"But we're here and I have to take a look at this powerful sword," Maddie continued. She tucked back the map they were using inside her backpack.

The tri-colored-haired girl then took out her sword and used it to push through the huge bush in front of them.

But as they walked through, Lizzie felt a sudden change in the atmosphere. She suddenly felt cold and uncomfortable.