08 The Penitentiary

Turns out the rainbow that had momentarily blinded Maddie was the translucent welcome sign to a supposed dreadful place.

The place was built like a fort. There was a main building that had four towers on each of its corners. And they were all decorated with moss and vines, with a few flowers scattered here and there. Five rainbows served as arches, also for decoration.

But the only thing that would remind someone that the place is dreadful inside were the tall rusted iron gates. And those were soon followed by a mini maze that had surrounded the fort.

"The Penitentiary," Reina breathed out, unamused. "A place for those who are needed to be corrected or unsuitable for society."

They then flew down to the mini maze that serves as both the entrance and exit.

That was when Maddie saw a couple of Reina and Crow's wanted posters on the mossy wall.

"They really want to catch the both of you," Maddie commented, pointing at the posters as the bird perched on her shoulder once again.

"But they can't, and will never after will," Reina replied, proudly swinging her staff to her shoulder.

"Why?"

Crow coughed, putting up his wing in front of his beak. "She's got someone to fight for," he said in a tone that seemed like he was smirking.

"Shh!" Reina shushed the bird, putting up a finger to her lips. "She's only here to help us. She doesn't need to know my life story in order to do so."

Crow rolled his eyes, seeming to want to continue the conversation some other time.

"So where is this necklace you're speaking of?" Maddie asked, redirecting the topic.

Reina swung her staff and pointed the raven attachment to the top level of the northeast tower.

"There, at that level," the woman told the girl.

Maddie looked up, the southeast tower nearly blocking her view.

"That's… one tall tower," she commented.

"That's the highest tower of all four," Reina said, swinging her staff about.

The motion created a purple platform underneath Maddie.

"I'll check and make sure that the head guard is busy," Reina continued, making the platform levitate. She then hopped on her staff, the raven attachment spread its wings as its eyes glowed purple. "Meet you there at the top of the tower."

The woman then flew off.

Maddie got transported by the platform to the tower like a flying carpet, making her fall on one knee due to the speed. Once she was in front of an opening, she jumped towards it.

Crow flew from her shoulder as she dangled from the window sill. Maddie hauled herself up and rolled it. Falling on her stomach afterwards.

"Are you sure you can do this?" Crow asked as he landed in front of the girl. "Humans can be fragile sometimes."

Feeling a bit offended, Maddie sat up, her hair falling on her ears. "I am not fragile," she whispered. "I can do many supposedly impossible things."