09 Behind the Barrier

Maddie was panting by the time she had reached the top floor, which was two levels above the one she had landed on.

"And I thought I would get here first," Reina spoke as she flew beside Maddie on her staff. She then hopped off of it. "Anyway, the head guard is busy. He's taking care of a rogue ogre and a troll below."

Maddie didn't respond, keeping a determined face as she slowed her pace and marched on.

Reina stopped walking. "Woah, what happened to her?" she asked just as Crow landed on her shoulder. She then looked at him.

Crow let out a sigh. "Madeline is determined to accomplish her part of the deal so that she can free a couple of prisoners," he responded.

Reina raised an eyebrow as she began to walk. "Why would she want to free criminals?" she asked.

Crow coughed. "Says the criminal," he mumbled, though audible to the three of them.

'Are they aware that I can hear them?' Maddie thought to herself.

She then cleared her throat. "Because those two prisoners that I met were arrested for dumb reasons," she responded. She turned around and began walking backwards.

"And what were these dumb reasons?" Reina asked.

"One girl was arrested for training to be a knight, and the other one was arrested for not shouting too much," Maddie replied nonchalantly.

"And you want to free them because…?" Reina asked.

Maddie turned around to face the direction she's headed. "Because it is not fair," she answered.

Reina and Crow looked at each other and shrugged.

The trio walked on until they reached the end of the corridor, being stopped by huge wooden double doors.

The doors were thick and aged, and looked like a single door if it wasn't for the thin line in the middle. And at the center of it all, the word 'CONFISCATIONS' was carved.

Maddie then tried to push the doors open, but they wouldn't budge.

"Step aside," Reina told her.

Maddie did what she was told. And upon doing so, the woman drew a purple circle right in front of her and pushed her hand through it.

The circle then passed through the door, causing it to glow in the same color. And in a matter of seconds, the doors swooshed open.

"That's one way to do it," Maddie commented, now mesmerized at the sight of magic. She then looked at the woman. "After you," she gestured at the door.

Crow took initiative and flew inside, followed by the Evil Queen, then by Maddie.

Crow then faced the two and began to fly backwards, an odd thing for a raven to do. "The necklace is behind thi-i-i-iiiiis…!"

At that, he flew onto a white barrier that's glowing aqua, causing him to get electrocuted.

Crow then bounced a few centimeters back and fell on the floor, smoke emitting from his burnt feathers.

Maddie rushed towards him in worry. She then looked back at the woman. "Is he going to be okay?" she asked.

Reina fanned a hand in front of her. "He's fine," she assured before crossing her arms and stepped towards the girl. "He once flew through the flames cast by a fire-breathing dragon."

Maddie raised an eyebrow. "Don't you mean above?"

Reina shook her head once. "No, through."