37 Staying In

"So, now I've got another question. What is a 'Moonlight Festival'?" Maddie asked as they walked towards the park.

"It is like a holiday being spellebrated during the event when the moon would be full and at its peak for three whole nights and days," Darling responded. "Typically starting on the very first day of June. Like today. And tonight is the first night of the festival."

Maddie furrowed her eyebrows upon hearing the first part of the answer.

"And by 'nights and days', you mean…?" she trailed off.

"Yes," Darling replied. "The moon will be up and glowing even in the morning."

Maddie could see the wince on Raven's face and the slight shudder from Cerise's direction.

Cerise looked at the tri-colored-haired girl, seemingly noticing the look given to her.

"The strength of everyone's powers will be heightened during the entire duration of the event," the hooded girl said.

Maddie only nodded to this.

"But monsters lurk around during those three nights," Cerise added. "Mostly on the second night."

"Oh," Maddie said. "But they are fairy tale monsters, right? Like dragons, and ogres?"

Her other three companions let out nervous chuckles.

"Those aren't the only monsters you should look out for," Cerise commented as they stopped in front of a tree.

It was the very same tree where Raven and Maddie had taken their break from delivering earlier that week.

"Okay…" Maddie said as they all sat down under the shade. "Back to the original question. What is a 'Moonlight Conjuring'?"

"It is a party done by children and teens during the second night," Darling answered, leaning against the tree.

"And what happens at this party?" Maddie asked.

"They spend the night over someone's house, with an invite of course," Raven responded.

Maddie perked up at this. "Oh! Like a slumber party! We have those!"

"And then they spend the night practicing magic. If they followed tradition, they would animate objects to life," Cerise added as she laid down on the grass.

"Like a weird magical slumber party…" Maddie trailed off, but her enthusiasm remained nonetheless. "Seems fun," she added before looking at Raven. "It's fun, right?"

"Don't ask me," Raven responded.

"Nor me," Cerise said.

"Having a wanted villain as a mother has its downsides," Raven continued.

"And so does having not enough skill in potion-making," Cerise added.

Raven groaned. "We've been over this in the past week," she said to the hooded girl. "Stop beating yourself over the past."

Cerise shrugged at this before looking at Maddie. "Truth is, Darling is the only one among us who ever got invited to one--"

"One?" Raven chuckled. "Try, many."

Maddie heard the platinum blonde-haired girl chuckle at this.

"I'm always invited to Apple's. It is fun at the start," Darling said. "But it becomes boring as time passes. Everything is organized and everyone is expected to act accordingly."

"Well, you're all royalty," Cerise commented. "Some may not be living in a castle, but still royalty."

Darling rolled her eyes playfully at this.