17 Book End

"We're here," Raven said after a while, stopping before a cobblestone path.

They've been walking for about an hour, but Maddie didn't mind the journey.

Though, she noticed the wince on the dark-haired girl's face. She seemed to be nervous about something.

Maddie tugged on the bag lightly. "You okay?" she asked, suddenly making the girl turn her attention towards her.

"Oh, yeah," Raven responded.

Though, Maddie could see the truth through the tone that she had used. She raised an eyebrow at the girl.

That was when a poster flew to Maddie's face. She pulled it off and looked at an upside-down poster of Reina and Crow. The same one she saw at the Penitentiary.

"Oh…" Maddie said in realization, letting the poster fly off. "They treat you like how they treat your mother. Or was it the opposite? The bad opposite."

Raven pursed her lips and nodded. She then stood up straight, as if she was about to march up to beat someone.

"But who cares what they think?" Raven spoke up. "We're only here to deliver whatever potion they ordered from my mom. And probably buy some groceries afterwards."

Maddie nodded, amused by the girl's sudden determination.

They stepped onto the cobblestone path and made their way through. Well, started making their way through.

Raven had stopped on her tracks once again. Maddie looked at her.

The black haired girl returned to her slumping posture. "I can't do it," she said.

Maddie patted Raven on the shoulder. "Hey, I'm here," she assured once Raven turned to her. "I may not know what exactly happened, but I'm here for you."

She gave the dark-haired girl a smile. Raven returned it and began to walk ahead afterwards.

Three hours later…
The two girls have finished most of the deliveries, and Raven gave Maddie a tour of the town as they did. But as they went from door-to-door, Raven got ridiculed for her lineage, whilst Maddie was stared at weirdly. Either those, or the both of them got aimed at with weapons and spells.

Both girls thought that the weapon-aiming was a bit too much. But, with a little help from Maddie, they just laughed it all off.

Right now, they were taking a break under the shade of a tree at the park. Raven was drinking water from a bottle, whilst Maddie was looking around and taking in the view.

"How many more potions do we have to deliver?" Maddie asked as she laid on the grass.

Raven recapped her bottle and began to rummage through the bag. "Just two more."

Maddie giggled.

"What are you laughing at?" Raven asked, looking up from beside her.

Maddie pointed up at a certain lump of clouds. "That looks like a caterpillar with a pipe."

"What?" Raven asked, obviously confused. "I don't see it."

Maddie giggled as she pointed at another lump of clouds. "And that one looks like a cat sleeping on a tree branch."

Maddie could clearly see Raven's confusion.

Maddie giggled again as she pointed at another lump of clouds. "And that looks like a bunny having a tea party with a boy."

She could see Raven turn to look at that lump. "All I can see are huge cotton balls that got tangled up in a mess," she responded to the tri-colored-haired girl with a chuckle.