39 A Queen's Curse

"Where is she?!"

Cerise yelped when the woman suddenly appeared at the doorway in a flash of dark purple light, accompanied with a strike of lightning and a loud clap of thunder from outside.

"S-she's here," Cerise's voice trembled as she stepped to the side.

Behind her was an unconscious Raven lying on Maddie's bed.

The woman sighed in relief as she approached her daughter.

"What happened?" the woman asked.

She was surprisingly calm despite the elevated heart rate that Cerise can hear at the moment.

"They were teaching me magic," Maddie suddenly spoke as she jogged through the door. "She may have overdone it."

"I should have told you that she can't cast spells the normal way," Reina spoke as she looked at her daughter. "Well, there is nothing we can do right now but let her rest. In her room."

The three teens watched as the woman drew a spell circle, with the spell covering the black-haired girl in a dark purple light before disappearing. Most probably reappearing in her bedroom.

Reina then turned to the door.

"Now that that's taken care of, I will be down in the basement and… pace. Do not disturb me unless it's about Raven."

With that, the woman disappeared again in a flash. Another strike of lightning accompanied her departure.

"Do you think Reina is acting a bit suspicious just now?" Darling suddenly spoke.

Cerise and Maddie turned to her.

"I think I know what you mean," Cerise spoke as she sat down next to Darling.

"What do you mean?" Maddie questioned.

"Because she seemed to be a little tense to me," the platinum-haired girl responded.

Maddie furrowed her eyebrows as she sat next to them. "She looked pretty relaxed to me."

Cerise winced. 'I can't say that I can hear Reina's heart rate. Darling knows, but I can't tell Maddie my secret just yet.'

"She was trying to appear as such, but she clearly isn't. I mean, her daughter just collapsed and she just goes down to the basement to pace. Doesn't that seem weird?" Darling tried to elaborate.

That did make some sense. But…

"I really don't know how Reina's brain works," Maddie spoke. "Probably she's doing something down there?"

Just then, a familiar explosion sounded from below, startling the three girls.

Cerise blinked and pursed her lips.

"That… doesn't sound like pacing to me," Darling commented.

"I know. And I'm very familiar with the sound," Cerise added. "It's like a potion exploding."

"Well, we can't bother her now…" Madeline spoke. "What if we ask Crow? He did say we can bother him."

~~~

"I do not know anything."

Cerise and Darling followed Maddie as the tri-colored-haired girl led them to the mansion's kitchen. And then found Crow munching on crackers on the counter.

"Well, can you at least tell us why Reina is pacing around at this time of the year?" Cerise asked.

"No," the raven spoke.