A hard day's night, part 2

"Maybe it's professional jealousy

"Maybe it's professional jealousy. Maybe she's brilliant, and they call her Nazi because they're jealous. Maybe she's nice." A tall blonde followed behind them said. "Let me guess. You're the model." Cristina said to her. Izzie gives Cristina a look and then continues walking towards Dr.Bailey.

"Hi, I'm Isobel Stevens, but everyone calls me Izzie."she said to the Doctor. Bailey looks at her up and down, doesn't respond or shake her hand.
"I have five rules. Memorize them. Rule number one, don't bother sucking up, I already hate you, that's not gonna change. Trauma protocol, phone lists, pagers. Nurses will page you, you answer every page at a run. A run, that's rule number two. Your first shift starts now and lasts forty-eight hours. You're interns, grunts, nobodies, bottom of the surgical food chain, you run labs, write orders, work every second night till you drop and don't complain! On call rooms. Attendings hog them, sleep when you can, where you can, which brings me to rule number three, if I'm sleeping, don't wake me, unless your patient is actually dying. Rule number four, the dying patient better not be dead when I get there, not only would you have killed someone, you would have also woke me for no good reason, we clear?" she tells the interns.
Naomi raises her hand.
"Yes."Dr Bailey says.
"You said five rules. That was only four."Naomi said to her. As Bailey's pager went off.
"Rule number five. When I move, you move. Get out of my way!" she says while running down the hall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What've we got?"Bailey asks the paramedic.
The paramedic answered while putting Katie on the stretcher and taken in to the hospital,"Katie Bryce, fifteen-year-old female, new onset seizures, intermittent for the past week, ID lost en route, started grand mal seizing as we descended."
"All right, get her on her side, Izzie, ten milligrams Diazepam,"Bailey yells. "no, no, the white lead is on the right, righty whitey, smoke over fire, a large bore I.V. don't let the blood haemolyse, let's go!"
Izzie injects her and she stops seizing. A new doctor, Preston Burke, enters, black, tall, young.
"So I heard we got a wet fish on dry land?"he said.
"Absolutely Dr. Burke." Bailey replied.
"Dr. Bailey, I'm gonna shotgun her."he said.
"That means every test in the book, CT, CBC, chem. seven, a tox screen, Cristina and Meredith you're on labs, George, patient workups, Naomi get Katie for a CT, she's your responsibility now."Bailey said to everybody.
"Wait, what about me?"Izzie asked.
"You - honey, you get to do rectal exams."Bailey said to her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're lost."Katie said to Naomi while they exit and elevator.
"I'm not lost. How are you feeling?"Naomi asked her.
"How do you think I'm feeling? I'm missing my pageant."Katie tells Naomi.
"You're missing your pageant."wheeling her around a corner.
"The Spokane Teen Miss? I was in the top ten after the first two rounds. This is my year. I could've won. "Katie said sitting up while being wheeled back around the same way"Hello? You're so lost. What are you, like, new?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

George sits down in the cafeteria whith Izzie staring at the food with some horror.
"This shift is a marathon, not a sprint, eat." he said to her.
"I can't." she replied.
"You should eat something."George said.
"You try eating after performing seventeen rectal exams. The Nazi hates me." Izzie said.
"The Nazi's a resident. I have attendings hating me."George replied.
"You know Naomi is inbred?"Cristina said as she and Meredith sat down next to them.
"Like it's uncommon around here to be a doctor's -"George said.
"No, she meant royally inbred. Her mother is Ellis Miller ."Meredith replied.
"Shut up, the Ellis Miller?"Izzie asked.
"Uh-huh." Cristina replied.
"Who's Ellis Grey?"Gerorge asked, Izzie, Meredith and Cristina laugh.
"The Miller method? Where'd you go to med school, Mexico?"Meredith asked.
"She was one of the first big chick surgeons, she practically invented the abdominal-"Izzie added.
"She's a living legend, she won the Harper Avery. Twice." Cristina said.
"So I didn't know one thing."George said.
"Talk about parental pressure."Izzie said.
"I would kill to have Ellis Miller as a mother. I would kill to be Ellis Miller".Cristina said and Meredith agreed.
"All I need is one good case."Meredith Said, while Naomi came sitting down next to them with her tray.
"Katie Bryce is a pain in the ass. If I hadn't taken the Hippocratic oath, I'd Kevorkian her with my bare hands"she says while everybody stares at her."What?"

"Good afternoon interns. It's posted, but I thought I'd share the good news personally. As you know, the honor of performing the first surgery is reserved for the intern that shows the most promise. As I'm running the OR today, I get to make that choice. George O'Malley. You'll scrub in for an appendectomy this afternoon. Congratulations." Burke pronounced to them.
"Me?" George asked.
"Enjoy."Burke answered.
Burke leaves, no one speaks.
"Did he say me?"George asks everybody.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After Katie's parents arrived Naomi was in the room with them.

"Katie, honey, mom and dad are here."Katie's mother said.
"They gave her a sedative for the CT scan, so she's a little groggy."Naomi said to them.
"Will she be all right?"She asked Naomi.
"Our doctor at home said she might need an operation, is that true?"Katie's dad asked.
"What kind of operation?"her mother asked.
"She's, um, well, you know what, I'm not, I'm not the doctor, uh, I'm a doctor, but I'm not Katie's doctor, so I'll go get him for you."Naomi said to them.

Naomi goes to Bailey.
"What?"Bailey asked her in a stern voice.
"Katie's parents have questions. Do you talk to them, or do I ask Burke?"Naomi asked.
"No, Burke's off the case, Katie belongs to the new attending now, Dr. Shepherd, he's over there."Bailey said to her.

Naomi takes a few steps in that direction. She stops dead. We can see him now, he's talking to another doctor. It's Derek, from this morning. Naomi's eyes widen and she starts to turn to go. He glances her way, does a double take. She turns and leaves. He's still staring.

Naomi is walking down the hall and Derek grabs her arm
"Hey" she says, he pulls her into a stairwell, no one's around."Dr. Shepherd"
"Dr. Shepherd? This morning it was Derek. Now it's Dr. Shepherd."he said to her.
"Dr. Shepherd, we should pretend it never happened."she said to him.
"What never happened, you sleeping with last night? Or you throwing me out this morning? Because both are fond memories I'd like to hold onto."he said.
"No. There will be no memories. I'm not the girl in the bar anymore, and you're not the guy. This can't exist. You get that, right?"she said.
"You took advantage of me and now you want to forget about it."he said.
"I did not take -"she started.
"I was drunk, vulnerable and good-looking and you took advantage." Derek cut her off.
"Okay, I was the one who was drunk, and you are not that good-looking." Naomi said while smiling.
"Well, maybe not today. Last night, last night I was very good-looking. I had my red shirt on, my good-looking shirt, you took advantage."he said.
"I did not take -"she denied.
"You want to take advantage again? Say Friday night?"Derek asked her.
"No. You're an attending. And I'm your intern. Stop looking at me like that."She told him.
"Like what?"he asked.
"Like you've seen me naked. Dr. Shepherd. This is inappropriate. Has that ever occurred to you?"she told him.
Naomi leaves, Shepherd sighs.