Begin The Begin

In Naomi's house Meredith and Izzie are in the bathroom standing against the door, Izzie is holding a coffee mug in one hand

You can hear Doc barking and growling really loudly and you can also hear George's muffled yelling, "God, holy, ow. I said down, back...IZZIE! MER!!Incoming!"
Izzie looks startled and they both move to open the bathroom door and George runs in and they all slam the door shut.
Izzie hands George her coffee mug which he accepts gratefully.
"You know I'm thinking about coloring my hair. Maybe red" Izzie told them.
"Yeah. Red's good." Mer told her.
"I'm thinking about cutting mine." Heorge told them.
"Yeah? You look good shorter." Izzie told him, and Meredith nods agreeing.
"You think?" he asked them surprised.
You can now hear Naomi giving the dog compliments and the barking has stopped.
They open the door tentatively and peek out.
"What a good dog? Who's mommy's good boy?" Naomi told the dog.
They see Naomi patting and shaking the dog's paw.
"Silly. Yes, I know. You're a good boy. You're such a good boy."
They look absolutely amazed by this, "What are you guys doing in there? We're going to be late." Naomi told them.
"We need to talk about the dog." George told her.
"That's not a dog. It's a hyena, escaped from the zoo dressed in dog clothing." Meredith said.
"Whatever! I don't chew up his clothes. I don't urinate on his bed. I don't try to mount him from behind!" George told Naomi slightly angry.
"People, he's our dog. We love our dog. He loves us." She continues patting and leaves.
Doc turns and growls at Izzie, Mer and George and then lets out a bark.
"He tries to mount you from behind?" Izzie asks George.
"Tries to." Doc barks loudly and George whispers, "Tries to."

..............................................................................

Richard is standing up on some stairs talking to a crowd of interns and doctors that are standing at the base of the stairs.
Naomi walks up to the crowd and stands next to Alex who is also standing there.
"Listen up people. New Year, new rules or should I say New Year and we will be enforcing the rules mandated by the residency review committee. There were too many mistakes made last year. Fatigue played too big a role. Exceeding 80 hours per week will not be tolerated." Richard announced.
"Does that mean we actually get to have a life?" George whispered to Izzie.
"I think so".
"Sullivan, you were on-call for 28 hours, leave when you hit 30. Miller you were here to 2am last night, see you at noon."
"I get to go? Free time?" Naomi asked Alex.
"Run before he changes his mind."
And Naomi leaves.
"Oh and people our nurses are gonna have to work extra hours to compensate so treat them well. Cranky nurses don't do us any good."

Derek is standing in an elevator, reading a paper with two other nurses.
The doors open and reveal Naomi standing outside dressed to go home.
She walks in and the two nurses leave, "Hi."
Derek puts the paper away, "Hi. You leaving?"
"80 hour limit. You?"
"Surgery was postponed. "
It looks like he's checking her out. He can't stop smiling or looking at her.
Naomi looks over at him, "I have a dog."
"You have a dog"
"My point is I have a dog."
Derek is full on grinning now, "You have a dog. Oh you know what? I love dogs".
"I've moved on so don't give me that look. "
He moves from his position against the wall and stands up close to her, "What look?"
"That look. Our look. I'm over you."
"I'm over you too."
"You are?"
Derek shakes his head smiling, "No."
"Oh, well I am. Over you."
"I'm over you too."
"You just said ..." He raises his eyebrows at her, "Shut up."
The doors open and they are both smiling at each other until they see who is standing in front of the doors. Addison. Who is by the way not looking very happy.
"Hi" Derek said to Addison.
"Bye." Naomi tells Derek and walks out of the elevator.

..............................................................................

At Naomi's house, Naomi has piles of laundry on the kitchen breakfast table.
She is folding sheets while Doc sits next to the table.
"There. Five loads of laundry. I have literally washed the past out of my life." she tells Doc and Doc just pants.

..............................................................................

In the Nursing Home Naomi is walking through the nursing home when Nurse Linda calls out to her, "Naomi! Hi."
Naomi walks up to her, "Hi. I had the morning off so I thought I would come and see how my mother's doing."
"Oh, she's fine. She's in the sitting room."
"Thanks."
"She's in good spirits. Visitors really cheer her up. Linda says as she wanders off.
"Visitors?" Naomi asked herself then She looks over and sees Derek walking up and making himself a cup of coffee.

Naomi is now talking angrily to Derek in an empty hallway.
"What are you doing here?"
"There is a clinical trial to study the progression of early onset Alzheimer's."
"Okay me you can screw with. My mother, no. Not acceptable." Naomi tells him.
"Well there has been some really promising results from similar studies in Europe. Your mother is a prime candidate."
"My mother is very sick and has very few good days. And I don't want her being poked and prodded for some experimental program."
"I'm just trying to help." Derek said nodding.
"Well see this, what you're doing, being Dreamy. It doesn't help. It hurts me. It messes with my head."
"I know the feeling."
" I don't doubt that but you have a wife to go home to and I'm guessing she has no idea where you are right now."
"No, she doesn't." Derek said chuckling.
"It's what I thought." She told him and She walks away.

..............................................................................

Naomi sits watching still dressed in regular clothes.
George enters with a cup of coffee and sits next to her, "Hey aren't you supposed to be having free time?"
"Oh, I did 5 loads of laundry. Cut my split ends, studied, cleaned out the fridge. Free time sucks."
"When would it have been the right time to hear about your boyfriend's wife?"
"Ok are you mad at me or something?"
"No! No. Sorry. It's just I have this patient and I get that there's a right and a wrong time to hear big news but wouldn't you rather no sooner than later? I mean just so you could move forward one way or the other. It's a fresh start, right?"
Naomi just gave him a look.

..............................................................................

Naomi is waiting against a wall on the hallway for Derek who comes out an elevator and stops in front of her when she calls out his name, "Derek."
"Hi."
"Tell me about the program."

..............................................................................

Meredith, Izzie and George are sitting on the floor sharing a pizza.
Doc is heard barking loudly.
You can also now here Naomi yelling at the dog about her laundry.
Mer, Izzie and George look up at this. Naomi opens up the bathroom door, "You don't eat laundry. Bad dog! Bad dog! Bad!" She closes the door with arms filled with laundry.
Naomi throws down her laundry and sits next to George who opens up the pizza box for her. Mer and Izzie resume reading their magazine and Naomi takes a slice of pizza and starts eating it.