The Runaway {3}

The next morning, Sokka was fishing, you and Katara were playing around with your waterbending, and Jeong Jeong was teaching Aang the basics of fire bending. You watched them from the corner of your eyes.

"What's the matter Y/n?" Katara asked. "You've been frowning since we woke up basically."

"No reason," you replied. "I just slept poorly."

"That's strange," she said. "You usually sleep like a rock." You shrugged.

"Who knows." You gently led the water through the air, creating shapes. You whipped your arms, and the water went shooting into the trunks of the trees, solidifying into ice spikes.

~
Nearer the end of the day, you were in the tent, mediating in the middle of it. Katara opened the flap.

"Y/n," she called. "Aang is playing with his fire." You popped an eye open.

"Idiot," you sighed, standing up. You followed Katara outside to the riverbed and saw Aang playing with a fireball.

"Aang," you called. However, instead of replying to you, Aang's fire flared out in a ring around him. Katara was right in its path. You quickly slid in front of her and pulled up the water, but the fire was closer. You held up your arms and the flames burned into your skin. You let out a grunt, holding your arms close to your chest.

"Y/n!" Aang hopped over to you. "I'm so sorry!" Katara came up to your side.

"What happened?" Sokka ran over at the commotion. "Y/n, what's wrong?" You pulled your arms back and all four of you saw grizzly burns covering your forearms.

"What did you do?" Sokka glared at Aang.

"It was an accident!" He exclaimed. "I was--uh, Y/n, I'm so--" Sokka tackled Aang away from you two, and Katara led you away from them.

"Y/n, how are we going to fix your arms?" She asked softly.

"I've an idea," you replied. "But let's get away from those two first." You and Katara walked a little furthur from the camp. You walked to the edge of the river and squatted down.

"What are you going to do?" She asked. You dipped your arms in the water, grimacing. Your forearms began to glow a soft blue, and Katara gasped from next to you. When you brought your arms up, the burns had healed, but the scars remained. Great. More to add to my repertoire.

"How did you do that?" Katara asked, gazing at your arms in wonder.

"She has healing abilities."
You and Katara turned to see Jeong Jeong.

"The great benders of the water tribes sometimes have this ability." He walked closer to where you and her were. "I've always wished I was blessed like you. Free from this burning curse." He kneeled down with you. You looked away from him and down at your hands.

"But you're a great master," Katara replied. "You have powers I'll never know."

"Water brings healing and life," Jeong Jeong replied. "But fire brings only destruction and pain. It forces those of us burdened with its care to walk a razor's edge between humanity and savagery. Eventually, we're torn apart." Two fireballs hit the river in front of you, and Jeong Jeong dispered one coming straight at you two. You looked over and saw three boats coming down the river. You stood, grabbing Katara.

"We need to go!" You exclaimed. She nodded and quickly ran after you. You and her met up with Sokka who was loading Appa up.

"Y/n! Are you alright?" He asked.

"I'm fine," you replied. "We have to get out of here. Where's Aang?" He pointed back behind him. You and Katara ran over to the hill to Jeong Jeong's hut. You and her slowly entered through the flaps.

"Aang?" You called. He was sitting at the back of the hut, his back to you, mediating. The candles were still lit.

"Jeong Jeong tried to tell me that I wasn't ready," Aang spoke. "I wouldn't listen. I'm never gonna firebend again."

"Aang, that's unrealistic," you replied, walking deeper into the hut.

"No, never again."
You sighed, glancing at Katara for her to say something.

"It's okay Aang," she said gently. "Y/n's healed."

"What? How?"

"I'll explain later, but right now we have to leave," you replied. "Zhao and his soldiers are attacking."

"Where?!" Aang quickly sprang up.

"By the river," Katara replied. "They captured Jeong Jeong."

"I have to help him!" Aang ran past you two. You looked at Katara.

"Is it just me or is his impulse worse than mine."

~
Katara and you split, with her getting Sokka and Appa, and you going to back up Aang. When you got to the riverside, you were instantly faced with a blast of fire. You ducked to the ground, pulling up water from the river. You put out the fire that Zhao created so the forest wouldn't burn down. That's when you noticed a rogue soldier come at you. You just rolled your eyes and whipped him across the face.

"Y/n! Let's go!" You looked behind yourself to see the others on Appa. You ran over to the them and jumped into the saddle before all of you took off into the sky.

~
The sun had begin to set when the four of you settled.

"Well that was fun," you said sarcastically.

"Aang, you're burned," Katara noticed. You looked down at his arm and saw it as well. You took some water and held it in your palm before holding it out to Katara.

"What?" She asked.

"Bruh." You grabbed her wrist and pulled her hand up. You transferred the water over to her palm where it coated it.

"Now, take a deep breathe and concentrate."
She did as told, and the water began to glow a light blue. You gently guided her hand to Aang's arm. The water broke off, hugging against his arm before dripping off. The burn was gone.

"Woah..." Katara gasped. "So that's what it feels like."

"Wow! That's good water," Aang said.

"When did you two learn how to do that?" Sokka asked.

"I guess I always knew," Katara shrugged.

"When I was five," you replied.

"Oh. Well then, thank for all the first aid over the years. Like when I fell into the greaseberry bramble. And that time I had two fishhooks in my thumb!"

"Two?" Aang repeated.

"He tried to get the first fish hook out with another fish hook."
You snorted.

"Idiot."

"Oh, and the time that Ming Snake bit me. Thanks for healing that up. That's great. Really helpful."

Ja ne!

{Ruby Red}