Airplane {3}

The next morning, you, Jet, and Sokka were up in a tree, watching for people to come through. Jet did a bird call and the other two answered with the same whistling. Sokka then stabbed a blade into the tree.

"What are you doing?" Jet asked, hearing it.

"Shh," Sokka shushed.

"It applifies vibrations," you explained.

"Good trick," Jet said with a smirk. Sokka put his ear against the handle.

"Nothing yet," Sokka said, "... wait, yes. Someone's approaching."

"How many?" Jet asked.

"I think there's just one."
Jet bird called over to the other two.

"Good work Sokka. Ready yourselves."
You crouched down to the branch and kept your eye on the path. When the person came into view, you finally focused on them. Instead of a soldier, it was an old man hobbling on a cane.

"Wait, hold on," you said, "It's an old man!" Jet didn't listen, drawing his hook swords and jumping from the branches. You watched as Jet chucked the cane out of the man's hand, backing him up.

"Sokka!" You exclaimed.

"I didn't know!"
You growled, turning your head back. Jet pointed his hook sword at the old man, backing him up even more. He turned, but smashed into Pipsqueak, sending him flying to the ground. The old man tried to crawl away, but couldn't. You stood up, drawing your water. Just as Jet was about to kick the poor man, you used your water to push him away.

"Chill, dude! He's an old man," you said, getting in between them. Jet recovered from the push.

"He's Fire Nation! Search him!" He ordered.

"But he's not hurting anyone." Sokka appeared. Pipsqueak and Smellerbee stood the old man up. You watched them.

"Have you forgotten that the Fire Nation killed your mother? Remember why you fight!"
You whipped the water between them, separating them.

"We don't fight for revenge," you said, blocking Sokka from him.

"Then what do you fight for?" He inquired.

"Making the world a peaceful place," you replied, scowling at him. "And beating up an old man is not a step in that direction."

"We got his stuff, Jet," Smellerbee said, holding up a bag.

"It's what has to be done. Now let's get out of here." Jet put his hand on your shoulder and pushed you out of his way. Your patience snapped. You used your water to grab his arms. You pulled him closer to you, coming face-to-chest.

"Never push me again," you warned. Jet took a sharp breath in, trying to look indifferent. You released him and the other two walked past you. You turned to the old man, helping him back up. You used your water to make a makeshift ice cane.

"Come on you two!" Jet exclaimed. You looked at Sokka and he sighed. With one last glance to the old man, you and Sokka followed him back to base.

~
You and Sokka sat on a wood platform next to each other, thinking over what happened earlier in the day. Aang came sliding next to you.

"Sokka, Y/n, look what the Duke gave me," he said. He brought out a ball from his bag and threw it at Momo where it popped with sparkles. Momo hissed at it before flying to Aang and grabbing the balls, throwing them at Aang's feet.

"That's nice, Aang," you acknowledged.

"OUch! Quit it!"

"Hey Y/n, Sokka. Is Jet back?" Katara climbed down the tree.

"Yeah, he's back, but we're leaving," Sokka replied, looking back at her.

"What?" Aang chimed in.

"But I made him this hat," Katara said, pulling out a... homemade hat from her back.

"I'm gonna be honest with you Katara," you said, "Your boyfriend's a thug."

"What?! No he's not," she denied.

"He's messed up, Katara," Sokka said.

"He's not messed up," Aang replied, "He's just got a different way of life. A really fun way of life."

"He robbed and assaulted an old man." You stood up. "People who are in their right mind don't do that." Katara crossed her arms.

"I want to hear Jet's side of the story."

~
"Y/n, Sokka, you told them what happened, but you didn't mention that the guy was Fire Nation?"
You and the others were in Jet's tent.

"No, they conveniently left that part out." Katara turned to glare at you two. You returned the glare.

"What does that matter? He was an innocent bystander," you argued.

"He was an assassin, Y/n," Jet said, pulling out a knife. He stabbed it in the log in front of him. "See? There's compartment for poison in the knife. He was sent to eliminate me. You helped save my life, you two."

"I knew there was an explanation," Katara said, relieved.

"Or maybe, he carried that in hopes that he could defend himself from people like you." You stood over Jet and scowled at him. He returned the glare. "I didn't see a knife."

"That's because he was concealing it," he replied.

"See, you two? I'm sure you just didn't notice the knife," Katara said softly.

"There was no knife!" Sokka exclaimed, "We're going back to the hut and packing our things." You slowly pulled away from Jet and followed Sokka out of Jet's hut.

"Something's not right," you said.

"You think?" Sokka replied, "He's got Katara and Aang wrapped around his stupid little finger. I'm glad you're smarter than that." You smiled at him.

"You know what it is? Instincts."

"AGH! SHUT UP ABOUT THAT!"

~
As you and Sokka were packing your things, Katara and Aang came in.

"We can't leave now with the Fire Nation about to burn down a forest!" Katara exclaimed.

"Sorry Katara," you said, standing up. "Jet's smooth and suave, but we can't trust him."

"You know what I think?"

"I don't care to know."

"You're both jealous that he's a better warrior and a better leader."

"Katara, we're not jealous of Jet," Sokka replied, "It's just that my instincts--"

"Well my instincts tell me we need to stay here a little longer and help Jet," Katara interrupted, "Come on Aang." She turned.

"Sorry," Aang said, following her.

~
Later that night, when the two of them were asleep, both you and Sokka were stirred by rustling.

"Let's go," you both heard a voice whisper. You and Sokka pulled back the cloth to see the Freedom Fighters leaving the base. You both glanced at each other before deciding to follow them. You and him lowered onto a branch. They were pushing a cart down the path. The both of you moved to the ground to get a better view. You and Sokka split. They pushed the cart to the edge of a cliff, overlooking the dam. You took cover on a branch. Down below was an Earth Kingdom village.

"Now listen," you heard Jet say, "You're not to blow the dam until I give the signal." Your eye widened, anger coursing through your veins.

"If the reservoir isn't full, the Fire Nation troops could survive."
Your eye landed on the cart.

'That must be the blasting jelly.' You thought. You looked at your hands, a nasty thought coming to mind.

'No.' You lowered your fist.

'They don't deserve to go out that fast.'
That's when you heard Sokka cry out from meters next to you.

Ja ne!

{Ruby Red}