Snow Pinnacle: The Ghost Planet {4}

You accidentally slid and crashed into Sokka down a hallway.

"HEY! WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING!" He yelled, rubbing his head.

"OH PISS OFF! I'M THE REASON WHY YOU GOT TO RUN ANYWAY!"

"Argue later you two!" Katara exclaimed. You and Sokka both grunted at each other before taking off. The four of you were caught in a dead-end with a Fire Sage behind you. You stood in front with Aang and grabbed more of your water.

"I don't want to fight you. I am a friend," the Sage said.

"Firebenders aren't our friends," Sokka said. Your bending faltered for a moment, but you refocused. The Sage walked up to Aang and bowed to him, deeply.

"I know why you're here, Avatar," he said.

"You do?" Aang inquired.

"Yes. You wish to speak to Avatar Roku." He stood up. "I can take you to him."

"How?"
The Sage moved a light to the side, revealing a hidden hole. He firebent, which outlined a secret door. It slid open, revealing a staircase.

"This way," he said.

"Find him!" A voice echoed.

"Time is running out! Quickly!"
You grabbed Aang's and Katara's hands, throwing them down the stairs. Then you grabbed Sokka and hurled him down. You ran down the steps with the Sage closing the door behind you. You all descended down a dozen and one flights of steps.

"Avatar Roku once called this temple his home," the sage explained, "He formed these secret passages out of the magma." You looked around at the designs that came out of them.

"Did you know Avatar Roku?" Aang asked.

"No, but my grandfather knew him," the sage replied. You finally got to the bottom and walked along a path.

"Many generations of Fire Sages guarded this temple long before me. We all have a strong spiritual connection to this place."

"Is that how you knew I was coming?" Aang asked.

"A few weeks ago, an amazing thing occurred. The statue of Avatar Roku--its eyes began to glow."
You looked over at the others.

"That's when we were at the air temple," Katara said, "Avatar Roku's eyes were glowing there, too."

"At that moment, we knew you had returned to the world."

"If this is the Avatar's temple, why did the sages attack me?" Aang asked.

"Us," you corrected.

"Yeah, us."

"Things have changed," the sage replied, "The past, the Sages were loyal only to the Avatar. When Roku died, the Sages eagerly awaited for the next Avatar to return, but he never came."

"They were waiting for me," Aang said.

"Hey, don't feel bad. You're only 100 years late," Sokka put a hand on his shoulder. You used your water to whip him in the face. "GUAAGGHGK!"

"They lost hope that the Avatar would ever return. When Fire Lord Sozin was elected to the throne, and began the war, my grandfather and the other Sages were forced to follow him. I never wanted to serve the Fire Lord. When I learned you were coming, I knew I would have to betray the other Sages."
You raised your hand.

"What do you mean Sozin was elected to the throne?" You asked. The Sage looked at you.

"That is not something we talk about. It was a dark time for the Fire Nation," he replied.