Chapter Twenty

"This isn't going to work" Jeremy complains, Damon takes a deep breath and pinches the bridge of his nose. Katherine's cellphone vibrates. She pulls it out and looks at it. It's a message from Bonnie reading 'Where are U?'.

"I think that your witchy girlfriend's worried that you've run away with your ghostly lover" Katherine points out.

"Stop with the teenybopper drama. Focus" Damon scolds. Jeremy focuses.

"I'm not helping them" Anna is sitting on the picnic table next to Jeremy.

"No, it's okay to help" Jeremy assures her. Katherine and Damon look at each other because they can't see her. "They're looking for a way to stop Klaus"

"I don't care. Katherine is not a friend to you." Anna argues.

"What's she saying?" Katherine asks.

"Well, she doesn't want to help you" Jeremy answers. Katherine whispers to Damon.

"My advice? If you want to make an omelette, you have to break a few eggs" Katherine is pushing his buttons. He knows that. But hurting Jeremy will hurt Cassandra.

"No," He tells Katherine as he pulls out his cell phone. "There is only one thing that will get him to help us" He dials and then sets his phone against his ear, when the line picks up, he holds the phone out to Jeremy. "His big sister" Jeremy looks at the phone and then takes it.

"Cas?" He asks when he sets it against his ear. "Wait, Cas, slow down, what's happening? Klaus is what?" Jeremy asks, Damon is quick to snatch the phone from him and set it against his own ear.

"What's happening?" He asks her.

"Klaus is here" She whispers. "At the school...."

"Why are you whispering?" He whispers back.

"I told him I had to pee but he's compelled Chad into making sure I don't do anything else" She answers. "He's right outside, he'll hear me" Damon walks up to Jeremy and gives him a look.

"Hang on," He tells Cassandra. "You need to find out, now" He then tells Jeremy. "Your sisters are in trouble" Jeremy nods a little and looks to his side where Anna is.

"Please," He asks her.

"They're looking for Mikael," Anna tells him.

"Mikael?" Jeremy asks.

"Mikael. Is that his name?" Katherine asks.

"Who's Mikael?" Damon counters.

"The vampire who hunts vampires. You don't want to wake him. He will kill all of you" Anna informs Jeremy.

"What's she saying?" Damon asks Jeremy.

"He's a vampire and a Hunter, and you guys would be idiots to wake him" Jeremy admits, he looks at Anna. "What do you mean, wake him?" He asks her.

"It's time to go find the keys," Damon tells Katherine who hums in agreement. He then sets the phone back to his ear. "You think you can deal with him until I can get back?" He asks. Cassandra snorts.

"Yeah, easily" She whispers and then hangs up. Damon lets out a worried breath. He knew he felt weird. Worried and scared and irritated. It was a weird combination. He's still worried about her though. Her going up against Klaus on her own.

..........

In the gym, Stefan is still feeding on Dana, though there can't be much blood left in her by now. Klaus watches him as Elena tries not to.

"It's always nice to see a vampire in his true element. The species has become such a broody lot" Klaus comments. Elena shakes her head.

"No. You did this to him"

"I invited him to the party, love. He's the one dancing on the table" Klaus counters. Rebekah marches in and rushes toward Elena.

"Where is it?! Where's my necklace?" Rebekah demands.

"What are you talking about?" Klaus argues.

"She has my necklace. Look" She gives him Caroline's phone so he can see the picture.

"Well, well. More lies"

"Where...is it?" Rebekah asks Elena.

"I don't have it anymore"

"You're lying!" She vamps out and bites Elena's neck but Klaus stops her and takes her aside.

"Knock it off!" Klaus scolds his sister.

"Make her tell me where it is, Nik!" Klaus looks at Elena. She has her hand on her neck.

"Where's the necklace, sweetheart? Be honest" Klaus asks her.

"She doesn't have it" Cassandra offers as she walks back into the gym. "Obviously...." She adds with an eye roll. "She hasn't taken that ugly thing off since she got it, if she's not wearing it now, it's pretty obvious she doesn't have it anymore" She looks at Klaus. "But I know who does...." He raises an eyebrow at her. "Katherine"

"And you know that how?" He asks her. She holds up her cell phone.

"Hmmm, she and Damon went off somewhere to do something...." She offers. "I called him...and freed Chad from your compulsion..." She lifts her head, her eyes glowing red. "Time to deal with you" He laughs at her and shares a look with Rebekah. Elena looks between Klaus and Cassandra.

"Oh, sweetheart, that is adorable," Klaus tells her.

"That bracelet only protects you from my telepathy...I can still hurt you" She points out. "But I don't need to use my powers...I can do it with one little word" Klaus raises an eyebrow. "Mikael" Klaus and Rebekah both pale. Cassandra smirks. "Oh, that hit a sore spot, didn't it?" She asks them.

"You're bluffing," Klaus tells her, she raises an eyebrow.

"Am I?" She asks. "Do you really want to risk it?" Klaus clenches his jaw.

"What do you want?" He asks her, she smirks.

"That's more like it" She offers. "Simple...we help you fix your hybrid problem, save Tyler, leave Stefan, he's paid his debt" Stefan looks at her softly, they are not close, but she's trying to help him. "And then....get lost, leave town....never bother us again"

.............

Damon looks at Jeremy and presses the car key to his chest. He knows that Mikael is their best shot at killing Klaus but he needs to get back to make sure Cassandra is okay. He can't leave her to do this herself.

"Stay with her so Anna can guide you. I'm going back" Damon tells Jeremy who nods. Katherine grabs the keys from Jeremy and turns towards Damon who is walking away.

"You're going to get yourself killed. The Damon I remember wouldn't have been that stupid" Katherine scolds him.

"I wouldn't have done it for you" He throws back over his shoulder. "I would for her" He adds and then vamp-speeds away.