Chapter Eighty-Three

On the upper level of the huge manor house, Elena follows along behind Cassandra as they head towards Esther's study, well, they are following after where they saw Finn disappear. It was clear that he was trying to lead them to Esther. Elena takes Cassandra's hand. Because they are both unsure about this, and they both need the comfort of companionship. Of knowing that someone is standing at their side, that someone is with them. Even if they have had their issues, they can stand together as sisters. Cassandra squeezes her hand in question, silently asking if she's ready for this. Elena shrugs back and then takes a deep breath. They have to do this. They have to get answers. Everything that has happened recently, and likely beyond, has been because of Esther and her actions. Because of the choices that she made a long time ago. They are owed answers because of it. Cassandra died because of those actions. Jenna and John died because of those actions. They have lost and suffered because of the choices one woman made more than a thousand years ago. Elena squeezes her hand back and nods. It might be best to just get this conversation over with. Cassandra raises her fist and knocks on the door when they reach it. It's Finn that opens the door and raises an eyebrow as he takes in Elena and Cassandra standing there alone. Finn glances behind them and along the hall to see if they truly did come alone. Even if there is an understanding that whilst they may be standing here alone, there will be some connection with Cassandra. She will never be alone as long as she can reach out to one of her friends.

"You came alone. Wise choice" Finn tells them.

"Bite me" Cassandra snaps a little at him. "We're here for the organ grinder, not the dumbass dancing vampire-monkey" She motions with her hand for him to move aside. He clenches his jaw but does move out of the way so Cassandra can brush past him, pulling Elena along with her. Esther stands in the centre of the room, holding a bundle of sage in her hand.

"It's only sage," Esther tells the girls. "I've spelled it so we can speak freely without fear of being overheard" Esther then looks at Cassandra. "Preferably, this will be kept between us" She warns and Cassandra raises an eyebrow at her. "No outside telepathic conversations" Esther then turns to Finn. "That'll be all Finn, thank you," Esther tells her son. Cassandra waves her fingers at him, mocking him. Finn leaves the room, closing the door behind him. "You must have a million questions for me. Please" Esther gestures towards the sofa and Elena sits on it, giving Cassandra a look but she chooses to stand, folding her arms over her chest.

"Let's just cut to the chase" Cassandra starts. She doesn't want to be here longer than she has to. She wants to know what Esther really wants. She wants to know what Sophia wants. And why it has to include her and her sister. "What do you want?"

"I know you must distrust me" Esther offers as she sits in the chair across from the couch. "And you have reason to be wary of my family" Cassandra scoffs a little. Wary is an understatement. Her family has made their lives a living hell. One of them literally killed her and Jenna. Tormented and tortured them with fear and threats of death. "But there is a way for me to undo the evil I created" Cassandra and Elena share a look. Because that sounds like it might be something they need, it's just come from someone they don't want it to. They don't want to lean on the mother of their enemy for help here. Because there is a higher risk that she will turn on them.

"You're gonna help us kill Klaus, aren't you?" Elena asks. Cassandra shakes her head because there has to be a catch.

"One thing at a time Elena. For now, I simply need your help" Esther counters. Cassandra rolls her eyes, because there it is. The catch. The shoe is dropping.

"What more could you possibly want from us?" Cassandra asks. "You already took my heart" She points at Elena. "Her blood...Our aunt...Jules"

"Jules?" Esther inquires. Cassandra turns a sharp look at her.

"The werewolf in the hybrid ritual that Klaus killed" Cassandra points out. "You have no idea how your actions have ruined people's lives, taken people's lives...because you let a wolf dip his dick when you were already married..." Elena looks down as her eyes widen. "1,000 years later and we are the ones paying for your mistakes.....why should we help you?" Esther lets out a breath, clearly not anticipating this much of a fight to get their help. Esther holds out her hand towards Cassandra and opens her fingers to reveal some red dust powder, she blows it straight into Cassandra's face. Cassandra coughs and wafts her hand through it but she's already breathed it in. Her eyes glow red before she passes out. Hitting the floor rather hard with a thud and if it wasn't for that sage, it is likely that this would have alerted Damon and Stefan to what was going on.

"Cas!" Elena rushes to her sister and looks up at Esther surprised and alarmed. "What did you do to her?"

"She'll be fine" Esther assures her. "That powder just....ensures her cooperation when she comes around" Elena turns back to Cassandra and brushes her hair back from her face. Esther knew she wasn't going to get it any other way. Elena is more worried now. Cassandra is her shield, she's more powerful than her and she trusted her to protect her against Esther. Cassandra is now unconscious. And she is alone. Cassandra might have been right about this whole thing. That they shouldn't have indulged Esther's request for a meeting.