Chapter Forty-Three

Cassandra's dress swishes with her steps as she moves into Stefan's room where Rebekah is waiting for her. She did promise to make her a dress and with homecoming mere hours away, it is best she pays up. Rebekah turns to Cassandra, a fashion magazine in her hand.

"So I was thinking something like this" Rebekah holds up a magazine. "But with this skirt" She flicks to another page to show off another dress. "And this neckline"

"So nothing like that first dress?" Cassandra teases, Rebekah looks at her and smirks. "Let me see" Rebekah hands over the magazine. Cassandra flicks through it and hums as she studies the three designs. "I've only ever done something like this on myself" Cassandra then warns. "So it might take us a few goes...." Cassandra cocks her head. "I'll start at the top, work down...Stand with your arms out, just in case I accidentally give you flippers or something" Rebekah shoots her a look. "I'll try not to" Cassandra assures her and then holds out her hands. Rebekah lifts her arms and she is then wrapped in red mist as it swirls around her.

"Embarrassing truth? This is my first high school dance" Rebekah admits.

"Ever?" Cassandra asks her as she moves around the dress that appears. It's not exactly what Rebekah had planned but Cassandra knew it would take a few tries.

"I never really had time for high school before. Nik and I were always moving around, running" Rebekah answers, Cassandra hums a little and waves her hand around the dress skirt, trying to adjust the dress. "Have you heard anymore from him?"

"No" Cassandra answers crouching to touch the skirt. "But I'm sure that when he does return he'll do it with some flourish" Rebekah nods in agreement.

"And Damon and my father are all set with your plan?"

"Yep," Cassandra answers and touches another part of the dress, changing it slightly.

"Don't tell me. I don't want to know, I just...I want to go to the dance and leave the rest to Mikael" Rebekah admits.

"I know it's really hard for you" Cassandra offers softly. "So thank you for helping us get Klaus back into town"

"Just be careful. I've been running for a thousand years for a reason. Mikael is not a good person and he definitely can't be trusted. No one in my family can" Rebekah has tears in her eyes. Cassandra stands and touches her arm.

"Are you okay?"

"I've spent my whole life loving and hating my brother with equal measure. I never thought that I'd be the one to help drive a stake through his heart" Rebekah then shakes her head. "No tears, I don't want to ruin my makeup" She then looks down. "Are you done?" Cassandra hums and nods before turning Rebekah towards the mirror.

"Well?" Rebekah touches the sheer overlay over deep blush pink fabric. She smiles and nods.

"It's perfect" She assures Cassandra who sits on the end of Stefan's bed. Rebekah traces the sweetheart neckline and nods. She then notices Elena standing in the doorway. "How do I look?" Rebekah asks, Cassandra raises an eyebrow at Elena, unsure why she is here.

"You look amazing! But you're missing one thing" Elena takes the necklace out of her pocket.

"My mother's necklace" Rebekah whispers softly.

"You should wear it tonight. May I?" Rebekah turns and looks in the mirror, and nods; Elena puts the necklace around her neck.

"Thank you" Elena drives the dagger through her back into her heart. Cassandra stands sharply.

"What are you doing?" Cassandra scolds her. "This isn't part of the plan"

"I know. I'm sorry. I can't leave anything to chance either" Elena argues, Cassandra shakes her head.

"I knew you'd do this" She admits and scoffs before she moves to Rebekah.

"What are you doing?" Elena asks her.

"I'm pulling it out" Cassandra answers and pulls the dagger out of Rebekah's back. "Pissing her off, isn't going to help us" She adds. "It's just going to give us another enemy to deal with...she's powerful, Elena, we need her on our side....and you know what?" Cassandra looks at her. "I actually like her" She stands and gives her sister a look. "Or are you planning on trying to hurt or kill all my friends?"

"That's not what I was doing" Elena defends.

"You did it with Damon....now Rebekah, do you just not like the idea of having to share me with other people?"

"No" Elena argues. "That's not...." Cassandra shoots her a look and shakes her head.

"We have a plan that we all agreed to, including you, you can't keep changing your mind like this..." Cassandra looks down and shrugs. "How are we actually going to work things out, if people keeping going off and doing whatever the hell they want? We need to stick together, to work together, if you wanted to do this...." She motions to Rebekah. "You should have talked with us first...." Cassandra gives her a look. "Just go, you shouldn't be in here when she wakes up...."

"Cas" Elena starts, Cassandra just waves her hand over her shoulder, dismissing her. She's too angry right now to deal with her. And Rebekah is going to be pissed as hell.

.......

Damon sits on the edge of his bed as he watches Cassandra getting ready for the dance. It actually feels like a long time since they did this, though it probably isn't. Everything feels like a long time ago. The way that their lives have played out in this town. Even when he thinks back to meeting her. That feels like a very long time ago. She's just explained what happened with Elena, and yeah, she is feeling a little vindicated, she was right. Elena was going to find a way to screw it up.

"In the back?" He asks, she gives him a look. "Harsh"

"Yeah, it was" Cassandra agrees and runs her fingers through her hair.

"It's very 'Katherine' of her" He adds and watches as Cassandra pulls on her shoes.

"I managed to talk Rebekah out of....retaliation" She adds and straightens up with a sigh. "For now..." He holds out her shawl to her and she smiles at him as she takes it. "Do you trust him? Mikael?"

"No" He admits.

"What about Stefan?"

"No. Not as long as he is under Klaus's control" He adds and touches her arm.

"Do you trust me?" She asks, he nods and pokes her nose.

"You know I do" He assures her, she touches his face and he smiles at her.

"I have plans..." She points out. "I covered all our bases" She leans closer and kisses him. He hums and pulls her closer to him. "We don't have time for that" She scolds against his lips.

Cas' homecoming dress: