Chapter Thirty-Nine

Rebekah holds out a drink to Cassandra who takes it from her. The two of them had headed back to the boarding house. Cassandra needs to be tactful about the information she has. Tell Rebekah just right. Get her on side. Cassandra pulls her leg up under herself.

"How do you know that Mikael killed your mother?" Cassandra asks, Rebekah gives her a look as she sits down.

"We're back to that?" Rebekah argues and the cocks her head. "Something Elena told you" She realises. "That phone call"

"How do you know?" Cassandra pushes a little as she raises the glass to her lips to take a drink.

"Nik was there. He told me" Rebekah answers.

"Blind faith, good to know" Cassandra comments and sets her glass down. "He lied to you"

"And how do you know that?" Rebekah asks. Cassandra pulls her phone out of her pocket and moves closer to Rebekah.

"The cave where you carved your family's names is covered in symbols" She shows Rebekah the photo. "The story of your family: how your parents arrived, how they made peace, the spell that turned them into vampires, and this" She turns the phone towards Rebekah and scrolls through the photos. "This is the symbol for the hybrid. It's a combination of the werewolf and the vampire symbol. And this is the one for your mother"

"Her necklace" Rebekah points out.

"And this is the story of her death. The hybrid killed the Original Witch. Not Mikael. Klaus"

"No, he wouldn't" Rebekah argues but pulls the phone closer to look at the photos.

"She put the curse on him, made it so that he would be the only one of his kind, and then she rejected him," Cassandra tells her. "With the werewolf gene comes aggression and violence....when he turned, all of that was heightened. He killed her, Rebekah. And then he made up this entire lie about your father, so that he wouldn't lose you" Rebekah stares at the photo.

"They're just stupid drawings, done by stupid people who had no idea who my family was" Rebekah argues and thrusts the phone back at her.

"Then why are you so upset?" Cassandra asks her.

"Why are you doing this to me? I've done nothing to you" Rebekah argues.

"Klaus killed your mother. He has a hold on you, on me, on everyone" Cassandra points out. "He has for a thousand years. We have to make it stop, Rebekah" Rebekah grabs Cassandra by the throat and vamps out.

"Shut up! Shut up! Don't talk anymore! Nothing!" Cassandra grabs Rebekah's arm as her eyes turn red. She pulls on Rebekah's emotions and calms her down slightly, taking off the murderous edge. Rebekah lets go of Cassandra. She begins to gasp, falls onto her knees and starts to sob, Cassandra crouches with her and reaches out, touches her shoulder to comfort her, curling her fingers in softly. Rebekah seems surprised by the contact. Cassandra does feel bad, she's not heartless and she's pushing at family bonds. But Klaus is torturing everyone, even Rebekah, and she'll never be free of him unless he dies.

"You would be free too, Rebekah," Cassandra tells her. "Free to do whatever you want...." Rebekah looks up at her. "Go anywhere, meet anyone...." Cassandra gives her a small smile. "Fall in love, live a life..." Cassandra knows, she knows just what Rebekah wants. She's knocked the nail right on the head.

........

Cassandra carries a pizza towards the Gilbert house where Bonnie is sat waiting for her. Perking up slightly when she sees her friend. When she finds that Cassandra has kept her word. It's been a weird year, so Bonnie wouldn't have been surprised if Cassandra had wanted to reschedule.