Chapter Sixty-Seven

Grey clouds are starting to roll in over the old witch house as Cassandra and Damon cross the field towards it on foot, going as far as they could in the car

Grey clouds are starting to roll in over the old witch house as Cassandra and Damon cross the field towards it on foot, going as far as they could in the car. She had assured Damon that he didn't need to come with her, but he has nothing better to do and he's worried about all of this. Whatever Sophia wants her to do. The fact she can't talk about it is enough for them to worry about it.

"Bonnie's worried about this" Damon admits as he pulls his hands from his pockets.

"So am I" Cassandra agrees, Damon looks at her. "That I can't say anything about what I'm doing, yes, I'm worried about it" She explains. "But I don't believe Sophia would do something bad...I don't get that feeling from her"

"Bonnie pretty much said the same, she just doesn't like being kept out of it"

"Well as soon as I am allowed to, you will all know" She assures him, he nods and lets out a breath. He knows that. He knows that if she could, she would have already told them everything. "Secrets and lies have gotten us all in trouble in the past, it's what got us into a lot of messes" He nods in agreement. She is not wrong. Secrets have gotten in their way a lot over the last year or so or however long it's been. "And honest works for me and you" She leans closer to him and he wraps an arm around her. "Maybe it will work with the others too"

"Nah, you and me...it's special" She turns to stop him, placing her hand on his chest. She leans up and kisses him softly. He draws his hand up her neck to her jaw and cheek as he kisses her back. What they have is special. And if Sophia's actions are about to threaten that, he is going to have to do something. He can't lose her. He can't lose what they have. He's a better man with her. They are the perfect team. They work perfectly together. Linked by fate or destiny or chaos. Whatever it might be that drew them together, whatever has bound them together. He raises their joint hands to kiss the back of hers with a soft smile. A year ago he never thought this possible. He and Cassandra weren't together. They were barely even friends. But he never thought he would feel as comfortable as he is in a relationship. He's supported and loved and that is a strange new concept for him. All those years he believed what he and Katherine had was love, and it wasn't. Cassandra has been a force of nature in his life and to be honest, he doesn't care about all the bad stuff, he only cares that she's here at his side taking it on with him.

"Come on" She pulls him along, only releasing his hand when they reach the porch of the witch's house. Cassandra moves up first, followed by Damon. She passes through the front door first, and almost immediately a red shield covers the door, stopping Damon from following her.

"Hey, Cas" He calls to her. "What's with the boundary spell?"

"It's not me" She moves back to the door and looks over the spell, reaching out to touch the red mist but it doesn't give. "Guess you're not allowed to help me, Damon" He gives her a look. This is just getting more and more suspicious. "I'll be fine," She tells him, but he shakes his head, not believing that. He doesn't like the thought of leaving her alone to do this.